Building additional storage in unfinished basement

Building additional storage in unfinished basement

Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2020 · 61 posts · 25 votes

I am in the process of purchasing a 4 unit property that currently has secure basement storage for tenants.  The storage spaces are no more than 5x5 but the basement itself is fairly spacious.  This has resulted in some tenants storing their items outside of their lockers and cluttering up the general area of the basement.  I can imagine the amount of items will only continue to grow unless something is done.  Their current rental agreements stipulate storage is only allowed in their designated storage units but that obviously hasn't been enforced.  My initial inclination was to just give notice that anything in the general area as of a certain day would be tossed/donated but I'm now thinking there might be a better way to address the issue.

I'm considering building additional and/or larger storage spaces and giving the tenants the opportunity to rent them for a monthly fee.  Given that they don't need to be pretty and can seemingly be built out of 2x4s I wouldn't expect the cost to be too bad but want to get a ballpark and use that to help determine if it is worth pursuing.  There is a Public Storage location near the property that charges $26/month for a 5x5 unit and $33/month for 5x10 so I at least have an idea of the maximum I'd consider charging if I built similarly sized secure storage spaces.  Building a couple larger storage spaces and renting them for just $20/month would generate nearly $500/year and so depending on cost to build and tenant usage they could seemingly pay for themselves in a couple years.

Have you ever built additional storage for your tenants?  If so, how much did you spend and how much did you charge?  Thanks!

0Reply
37 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 5k+ votes
5y

Being in Southern California I have no clue about basements, but this sounds like a fairly easy and cheap job. I've had recent experience with having a chain link fenced area installed.

A 5x5 area, 6' tall chain link fenced area should be pretty easy and cheap to build for $200-$300 in materials. No idea what the cost would be if you needed to bring the fencing all the way to the ceiling. However, I know going from 6' to 8' was not a big price difference. If you want more privacy, you can install fence weave fairly cheap.

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    5y

    Being in Southern California I have no clue about basements, but this sounds like a fairly easy and cheap job. I've had recent experience with having a chain link fenced area installed.

    A 5x5 area, 6' tall chain link fenced area should be pretty easy and cheap to build for $200-$300 in materials. No idea what the cost would be if you needed to bring the fencing all the way to the ceiling. However, I know going from 6' to 8' was not a big price difference. If you want more privacy, you can install fence weave fairly cheap.

  • Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2020 · 61 posts · 25 votes
    5y

    @Greg M. Good call on chain link.  Since the current storage is 2x4s I was running with that mindset but there is no reason I couldn't do chain link instead.  I'm not sure what the cost difference would be but certainly seems worthwhile to check out both options.  I also hadn't considered fence weave but you are right that it'd be a fairly inexpensive option for privacy so it isn't as easy to tell what tenants are storing (and likely improve their sense of security for their possessions).

    I'm guessing the biggest challenge I'll have with this project would be potential resentment from the tenants.  It seems like they weren't really supposed to store anything in the general areas of the basement but that they did so without consequence, so now taking that space away and only offering it with a fee could go over poorly.  If I can build the storage spaces inexpensively enough, however, I'd think I could swing a fairly low monthly fee for use of the space.  Letting the tenants know they can also consider using the Public Storage up the road for a larger fee may help make it seem more reasonable, too.

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    5y

    Perhaps don't charge a separate fee for it. Make it seem like a good will gesture. Tell the tenants that since their current storage areas don't seem to be large enough, you're going to redo them and make them much larger. Build out the biggest storage areas you can in the space. Then when lease renewal comes, increase their rent to cover the cost. 

    Practically every renter I've ever had could use more storage space. It would be a big plus when trying to find a new tenant. 

  • Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2020 · 61 posts · 25 votes
    5y

    @Greg M. Good call on potentially adding in the storage as a free bonus.  Once I price out the project I can get a better idea of the feasibility and what a future rent increase might be needed to cover it, although I'm guessing given how long the storage should last with minimal maintenance it wouldn't take much to recoup costs.  Thanks!

  • Investor · Member since 2018 · 24 posts · 2 votes
    5y

    Hey @Jon Coleman, I'm considering doing this as well. Did you ever go through with it? Curious to hear your experience.


Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.