What happens after your rental house catches on fire

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2020 路 19 posts 路 7 votes
    5y

    Has this happened to you? I'm so sorry to hear that if so. 

    This winter storm has made rational individuals make irrational decisions, so I would first give care to the tenant. There are probably some warming stations that would take them. I would offer that to them before offering anything like a hotel or another rental unit. Unless your lease states otherwise, you aren't under obligation to house your tenant or replace their stuff. That's what renters insurance is for.

     Call insurance and speak with them over the process.

  • New to Real Estate 路 Orange County, CA 路 Member since 2020 路 214 posts 路 184 votes
    5y

    Hope your property and your renters are okay! I would definitely call your insurance. They might be overwhelmed with calls right now but that would be your best bet. Good luck and stay safe!

  • Property Manager 路 KS 路 Member since 2021 路 7 posts 路 4 votes
    5y

    I am so sorry to hear this! I hope everyone is okay. I had two homes we manage catch fire last winter. Call you insurance company. Do the tenants have renters insurance to cover the damage to their belongings? In my situation we moved the tenants into another vacant property while the fire damaged property was being repaired. Thankfully neither of them were a total loss. Best of luck to you! 

  • Rental Property Investor 路 Member since 2021 路 384 posts 路 197 votes
    5y

    @Brittany Villamil I'm so sorry to hear that this happened. I too hope everyone is okay. I would definitely call your own insurance and hopefully your tenants have renter's insurance too!

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 路 15k+ posts 路 11k+ votes
    5y

    I agree with others.  Have your tenants call their insurance company and then you call yours.  

  • Houston, TX 路 Member since 2015 路 81 posts 路 19 votes
    5y
    do I break their lease? They can鈥檛 live in it and it will take a few months to repair 

    Originally posted by @Paul Crutcher:

    Has this happened to you? I'm so sorry to hear that if so. 

    This winter storm has made rational individuals make irrational decisions, so I would first give care to the tenant. There are probably some warming stations that would take them. I would offer that to them before offering anything like a hotel or another rental unit. Unless your lease states otherwise, you aren't under obligation to house your tenant or replace their stuff. That's what renters insurance is for.

     Call insurance and speak with them over the process.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.