Landlord termination form month-to-month rental

Landlord termination form month-to-month rental

Member since 2021 · 2 posts · 1 vote

Any recommendations for a form to use for a TX landlord to terminate a month-to-month agreement? The initial term of the lease expired and the lease now automatically renews on a month-to-month basis. The effective date will be the end of the month following the notice.

Any recommendations, links to forms or templates, sample letters would be appreciated.

Also if there are any best practices I'd be interested in hearing them.

0Reply
20 views

Most Popular Reply

Realtor · PInellas County Largo, FL · Member since 2016 · 902 posts · 810 votes
5y

You can just write it and give the proper amount of notice.  

Something like:
This is written notice of termination of your month-to-month lease dated _____ between ______ (landlord) and _______(tenant).

This notice is to inform you that as of _______ your lease is terminated.

If you want something more official looking:
https://www.google.com/search?...

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Corby GoadeBusiness Member
    Investor · Boise, ID · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y

    I am not in Texas, so I can't answer this specifically, BUT- your state should have a tenant-landlord guidebook, it's published by your state attorney general. Anyone who is buying and holding should be intimately aware of the laws and their rights in the state where they hold a property. If you read this book, it will tell you exactly how and when you can serve notice for this situation in order to keep it legal. You'll need to cross reference your lease, as well- sometimes the lease will have terms that contradict the law, you need to be sure your lease follows the law as well. 

    Of course the best way to make sure you are doing these things legally and property is by having a great property manager and a great lawyer, but I would start with reading that book. 

    Best of luck!

  • Member since 2021 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    5y

    Thanks Corby. I am familiar with the guidebook, the laws and rights and the lease terms.

    I asked if there are any templates or forms to use. For most situations they exist but I haven't really found anything for the termination of a month-to-month by a landlord. Before I draft my own letter I thought I ask if any templates exist. Thanks again.

  • Realtor · PInellas County Largo, FL · Member since 2016 · 902 posts · 810 votes
    5y

    You can just write it and give the proper amount of notice.  

    Something like:
    This is written notice of termination of your month-to-month lease dated _____ between ______ (landlord) and _______(tenant).

    This notice is to inform you that as of _______ your lease is terminated.

    If you want something more official looking:
    https://www.google.com/search?...

  • Real Estate Broker · Coppell, TX · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    5y

    If you are a member of TAR or have your realtor process the form, TXR-2005 should work.  It is used for extensions, but you could also fill it out in such a way to give notice of termination.

    At the top of the form it says it is for use only by Association members, so if there is a dispute, it might not hold up in court if you use it and are not a member.

    I'll guess TAA also has one you could use if you are a member.

    If not just get your attorney to draw up something simple.  They probably have access to several prewritten forms they could use for you.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.