ADU Property Rental Rules and advice?

ADU Property Rental Rules and advice?

Member since 2020 · 16 posts · 5 votes

Hello!

I am so confused! I originally thought I could rent out a property any way I want (minus retail in residential). I'm a little baffled at what I am slowing finding out. My original plan was to buy a duplex, but I live in a very competitive area so I'm now looking into SFH with MIL or ADU.

I looked at SFH with permitted ADU as it accomplishes my same goal of reducing my expenses and getting land lording experience with the plan that I could rent out the main house and the ADU after living in it for a while. Then I found out that in Everett, WA, I can't rent the main house + ADU if I'm not living on the property. This seems odd to me as how is this different than me just renting out by room? Is there a work around for this so I could rent both out at the same time after the primary residence period? Also why does this ADU rule exist and how is it different than a rent by room situation?

0Reply
13 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Edmonds, WA · Member since 2018 · 7 posts · 4 votes
    5y

    Unfortunately that is currently the rule statewide. I am not aware of any county that currently allows non-owner occupied ADU's. I imagine it has to do with density issues. I've read articles that report they may look to loosen this up in areas where rentals are scarce or for low income housing.

  • Realtor · Bellevue, WA · Member since 2019 · 882 posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Aileen Yu, we only have a few cities that allow non-owner-occupied ADUs

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.