Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Luke Pontier
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Montclair, NJ
Votes |
Backyard improvements - worth it?

Luke Pontier
  • Montclair, NJ
Posted Jan 23 2021, 10:01

My wife and I recently purchased a duplex that we are house hacking and intend to hold onto and rent after we move out. The backyard is in rough shape. What are the best value adds (if any) to a backyard for a buy and hold duplex? Have you found it worthwhile (with a return through increased rent or appreciation) to add a deck or patio? TIA.

User Stats

Votes
Craig Anderson
Pro Member
  • Investor
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
Replied Jan 23 2021, 11:57

In my opinion, the backyard should have the same "curb appeal" as your front yard.  You want tenants to feel comfortable to be able to have nice use of the backyard.  I know from experience as a renter and owner that a backyard is a nice place to relax, have bbqs with friends, and other aspects of feeling comfortable at home.  This could be a nice patio area with a little bit of yard, or it can be an open space with grass and easy to maintain plants.  Think about what you would want in a backyard for all-purpose use and easy maintenance.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jan 23 2021, 12:25

@Luke Pontier

I am agreeing with @Craig Anderson about the backyard, and I will just add to look and see what your future competition has done. Check it out on Zillow or wherever else landlords advertise in your area.

Decide if you will be maintaining the landscape, or expecting a future tenant to keep it up. That will make a difference in your choices. As well as if the back is shared or separate between tenants.

I did add a patio to my property, and very nice but easy to care for plants, and a tree. And yes I do think that the complete package of a updated house and nice yard gets me better quality tenants and higher rent.

Congratulations on your purchase.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Luke Pontier
  • Montclair, NJ
Votes |
  • Montclair, NJ
Replied Jan 23 2021, 12:31

@Debbie C. @Craig Anderson thank you both! Appreciate your insights.

User Stats

Votes
Marco G.
  • Investor
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Dallas, TX
Replied Jan 23 2021, 16:02

@Luke Pontier

In my experience it’s not going to increase your appraisal value so keep that in mind when budgeting.

User Stats

Votes
Forrest Faulconer
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Oklahoma City, OK
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Oklahoma City, OK
Replied Jan 23 2021, 18:40

@Luke Pontier

Is the duplex back yard separated? I don’t think it matters that much with multi families, I know investors who just put down rock or crushed granite to keep the maintenance low.