Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Kerry Shelke
Votes |
Smokers with MTM Lease

Kerry Shelke
Posted Dec 16 2020, 07:23

I purchased a building over a year ago in Iowa and have one remaining long term tenant (11 years). He's elderly, has emphysema, smokes at least 2 packs of cigarettes a day. He refuses to stop smoking indoors (he can barely walk to smoke outdoors) and has guests who smoke in his unit as well as common areas despite our requests of no smoking in common spaces. He pays his rent on time and otherwise is a great tenant. He has a month-to-month lease as well and his rent is below market rate. The issues are now with other tenants affected by the non-stop smoking and smell. Other tenants (non-smokers) have complained their units and clothes smell like smoke. Additionally, a "new" tenant has asthma and is worried about her health.  I have resisted raising rent because I feel for the guy. I know, I know.....business, but he's also been there over a decade and I am torn on what to do. We've renovated all of the units but his since he is the only tenant who has stayed. We've spent so much on bringing the building back to life after being ignored for years so I want to protect our investment but also want to remember the human factor. Thoughts and ideas? Truthfully, I would not like him to stay.

Loading replies...