Creative house-hacking strategies to live for free, with $0 down?

Creative house-hacking strategies to live for free, with $0 down?

Dallas, TX · Member since 2017 · 10 posts · 1 vote

I'm interested in "creative" house-hacking strategies.... My goal is to live in a nicer place than I do now and make my cost of living $0 or much lower than what I'm currently paying in rent.

Example Scenario

Rent 4 BR house @ $2,000 mo

Get 3 roommates, Rent 3 rooms out at $650/month+1/4 utilities. I live for free in the 4th bedroom and just pay my share of utilities.

No closing costs, no repairs, no mortgage... and I live in a nicer home.

Has anyone ever done this?

1Reply
32 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Realtor · Hudson County, NJ · Member since 2017 · 176 posts · 110 votes
    5y

    @Ashley K.

    If you can find it... you can try to find a seller who is willing to do seller financing but would be best to involve an attorney to make sure the terms and verbiage is correct. In this instance the seller is the lender and you would be paying them monthly while house hacking.

  • San Francisco, CA · Member since 2018 · 72 posts · 30 votes
    5y

    @Ashley K.

    Hey Ashley this is a great idea

    I recently closed on a house and used an FHA loan (3.5%) then used a first time home buyers down payment assistance program that covered that 3.5% for me. I only paid for inspections

  • San Francisco, CA · Member since 2018 · 72 posts · 30 votes
    5y

    @Allan Pilapil and I house hack each room and pay $0

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.