In duplex, one tenant is complaining of marijuana smell

In duplex, one tenant is complaining of marijuana smell

Real Estate Professional · McCalla, AL · Member since 2008 · 67 posts · 23 votes

So, we have a strict no smoking policy.   Pot is highly illegal in Alabama.

I need to talk to our long-term tenant who is smoking pot, (allegedly) but would like to not lose her as a tenant if she will stop.


Any  advice on the convo with her?   The newer tenants are clean and great tenants too.  So I don’t think they are making this up. 

1Reply
14 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2020 · 94 posts · 161 votes
    5y

    @Nancy Carr What type of property in this? Duplex or larger MFH?

    I very recently dealt with this myself. Tenants that share an owner occupied duplex with me thought they were being sneaky. Fortunate for me, I reached out letting them know I could smell pot and although I'm not sure if it was them or a neighboring building, reminded them that there was a strict no smoking policy . Stopped the issue in its tracks without too much confrontation (so far...). 

    If there are multiple tenants in the building I would suggest reaching out in order to make the problem known without necessarily accusing the subject tenant. Let them know you are actively pursuing the problem and that all tenants are being made aware. This could raise awareness to what they may believe is going unnoticed and stop it without much confrontation. 

  • Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2020 · 94 posts · 161 votes
    5y

    @Nancy Carr Apologies! Missed the "Duplex" in your title. That said, I would suggest taking a non-accusation approach to the initial conversation which can serve as a reminder to see if the problem stops. 

  • Real Estate Professional · McCalla, AL · Member since 2008 · 67 posts · 23 votes
    5y

    Thanks. I talked to her about it. 

    I was careful with my words, I hope it stops! 

  • Investor · Sharpsburg, GA · Member since 2017 · 19 posts · 15 votes
    4y

    Any update on how it went?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.