Hello,
I am renting my upper unit of my duplex. They are starting the lease in June. The guy is a local TV host. His fiancé, their kids ( 1 kid each from previous relationships) and he are moving in. They asked me to give keys 2 weeks in advance to help them move their stuff.
They said that they liked my place so they are moving even though they both will have separate another 30 days rental lease at their current residences. i.e. they don’t want me chose other applicants who are ready to move in by June. This came as a surprise to me. I agreed to give the keys for 2 weekends prior to them moving in. Now, they requested me to give them the keys 2 weeks before and let them keep it so they can move their stuff. They seem like nice people but I don’t want to set the wrong tone that they can just break rules.
Also, I am wondering about the things that they keep before the renters’ insurance commences. They promised that they don’t plan on living there before the lease starts.
What are some of the issues of giving the keys in this situation?
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Tenants get keys when we sign the lease and they hand over the money. Period. Money in cash or money order for the first month and full deposit. Period.
I will give tenants a few days free if a property is vacant. But its May 8 and they want to move in June 1 (I think you're saying.) I would tell them "You're approved, but the first person to sign a lease and pay gets the property." If they were willing to start a lease on May 15, I might be willing to give them the next week for free. Otherwise, I would continue to market the property. In my market, I'd be pretty confident I could get someone in there in less than three weeks. If I did find another acceptable applicant and they were willing to move in sooner, I would go back to this first applicant and tell them "I have someone willing to move in on (say) the 15th, but I approved you first, do you want to move in on that date?" If no, the new applicant gets it. If its still available when they actually want to pay, they can have it.
I have, on ocassion, agreed to hold a property. Not for three weeks, but maybe for a week to 10 days. I'll only do that if they pay me a non-refundable holding deposit equal to the security deposit. If your market is on the slow side, I might agree to that. They pay now, and when we get around to signing a lease, that becomes the deposit. There's a date on that agreement, and if they don't sign by that date, I keep the deposit. In a case like this, I might make that date about a week before the first and I would continue to take calls and keep phone numbers. If they don't sign, call those people back.
Even if you start the lease on May 15th, you want a full month's rent. Nothing wrong with making the lease run from the 15th to the 14th of the next month. But if they want is 1st to last, then on June 1 they would owe you half a months rent. But ALWAYS a full months rent to move in.
Had a similar story.
Applicant said "I just bought a $30,000 car. You think I can't pay you rent?"
I don't care. I still need to see your financials, bozo.
Some people just don't want me to see how little they have in their bank account. They think it's personal.
Well, I don't care about your transactions. Just the average daily balance.
Lokesh W. the background check is an must obviously, but keep in mind that every bad situation or bad tenant has to have a starting point. And you don't want to provide the perfect opportunity for that! I'm by the books and agree with Mike Franco that its just business.
Keep in mind that not all news reporters have their act together. There was one in my area that was accused of shopligting and embezzlement. She ended up committing suicide. It was revealed that she was only making $75K in a top 10 market. She had a huge house with no heat and was living way beyond her means. I'm sure this isn't typical by any means, but I wouldn't hold the news position higher than other jobs. A firefighter has a way more stable job and makes as much money. News people get fired all the time.
Ha. Is a 30K car supposed to impress us? Aren't most new cars at least 30K these days? And, if they have a large car payment, I would assume they COULDN'T pay rent as easily.
I don't even look at their bank statements with my application.
Wow. I haven't heard of such a thing. That's sad that $75K means a big house, no heating, and ended up tragic for her life. Embezzlement? Shoplifting? Yikes. News people do get fired, probably more often than I realize. They're definitely not risk proof, but some seem to be more concerned about their reputation than the average student or low income tenant. Though, if they want revenge on you, they might have free publicity to do so.
News anchors definitely don't make much. Entry level in a decent average market only make $30,000something starting out. I was surprised to find that out. I would have assumed they started out making a little more. I guess with the news industry like it is, they're lucky to find jobs, even with average income.