New tenants want to paint

New tenants want to paint

SFR Investor · South Bend, IN · Member since 2013 · 342 posts · 56 votes

I saw another post on long term tenants that want to paint. I have tenants that just moved in a month and a half ago that want to paint. I'm kind of leery about it because

- They just moved in six weeks ago.
- The entire house has been professionally painted within the past six months. I was living there at the time, so a better quality paint was used mostly in Antique White w/white trim.
- The house has recently been remodeled with newer maple cabinets in the kitchen and refinished hardwood floors.

Is it a big negative to tenants if you don't allow them to paint? They wanted to move in a week early (without paying) and I already said No to that. I also just had the property managers give them a call to make sure they know they are supposed to take care of the lawn because the neighbor called me to let me know the yard hadn't been mowed at all. Guess they'd have time to paint but not mow the yard LOL.

So I just don't want to seem to "mean landlord" but at the same time want to have some standards.

I guess I would consider it in the master bedroom, which has a wood laminate floor, and I considered repainting anyway as the color is a very pale off-white but w/a slight purple undertone. The master bathroom is a sage color so that would be possible too as I'd eventually have it repainted in antique white (but not until whenever it next needed it).

The kitchen is pretty much a non-negotiable. I wouldn't want paint on the new cabinets or on the hardwood floor, it's open to the living room that has some crown moulding, etc, so I wouldn't care for that to be messed up either. I guess I've rehabbed 4 houses and have seen some horrible paint jobs.

As it doesn't need it at a minimum I wouldn't pay for it, and would want them to return it to antique white upon move out. Or would it be better to let them know they'd have to pay for a professional to repaint, as that was what was done before? Or they could repaint it back, but would be responsible for any damages from a bad paint job. (Or just say NO.)

Again I don't want to seem like a bad landlord but don't want the place messed up either. They had good references before moving in and were overall qualified tenants.

1Reply
52 views

Most Popular Reply

Dawn AnastasiPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
13y

Don't worry about being a "mean" landlord. If you want to be friends with your tenants, then let them do whatever they want to the place. It sounds like you don't want them to paint, so just say no.

You have no idea about their painting skills -- some people think they can paint, but they are not professionals. You just had the place professionally painted -- I would definitely not do it.

If they haven't mowed the lawn, that is an issue. Sounds like they are trying to push you. You give in on this, then they will push on something else -- can't you just hire someone to mow the lawn for them? Can't you just let them pay a little late? Can't you do this, can't you do that? Especially since they are new, you have the opportunity now to tell them NO and indicate that the place was just professionally painted.

When they buy their own home, they can paint in any color they want. If they're not happy with your unit, why did they rent it?

See this reply in the discussion

17 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Dawn AnastasiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    13y

    Don't worry about being a "mean" landlord. If you want to be friends with your tenants, then let them do whatever they want to the place. It sounds like you don't want them to paint, so just say no.

    You have no idea about their painting skills -- some people think they can paint, but they are not professionals. You just had the place professionally painted -- I would definitely not do it.

    If they haven't mowed the lawn, that is an issue. Sounds like they are trying to push you. You give in on this, then they will push on something else -- can't you just hire someone to mow the lawn for them? Can't you just let them pay a little late? Can't you do this, can't you do that? Especially since they are new, you have the opportunity now to tell them NO and indicate that the place was just professionally painted.

    When they buy their own home, they can paint in any color they want. If they're not happy with your unit, why did they rent it?

  • SFR Investor · South Bend, IN · Member since 2013 · 342 posts · 56 votes
    13y

    Ok, thanks. I asked my property manager what they usually do. They said they usually don't allow it for the reasons I mentioned - don't know what the quality would be, damages could be more than the deposit, also many times want a very bright or dark color that can't be covered by a neutral color well.

    She said sometimes if it is a light or neutral color some of their owners approve it. She told them to pick out swatches and she'd run it by me, but they said they haven't yet picked out colors or anything so it might not go past the idea stage - sometimes renters say things like this and then don't follow through. So I might not have to even say no.

    Like I said if they don't have time to mow the yard I don't see how they'd have time to pick out paint colors and paint (and do a good job with it.)

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Amie D.:
    ...

    Like I said if they don't have time to mow the yard I don't see how they'd have time to pick out paint colors and paint (and do a good job with it.)

    The "man of the house" might have mowing responsibilities, whereas the "woman of the house" will probably have the decorating responsibilities - at least as to making choices (the man might still be the one doing the application of paint onto the walls, and if a lazy or careless type ... just think of the lawn's condition).

  • Investor · Paradise Valley, AZ · Member since 2012 · 361 posts · 214 votes
    13y

    You could let them paint under the following conditions:
    1) you approve the colors
    2) they must use your painter at their expense

    Chances are they will not go for that and leave your beautiful walls alone.

  • SFR Investor · South Bend, IN · Member since 2013 · 342 posts · 56 votes
    13y

    Ok. Albert Hasson, I do have a painter that I trust to do a good job and I'm sure the PM has one as well. That's an idea. I'm not totally concerned about the walls themselves as I am about them getting paint on the hardwood floors, new cabinets, lighting fixtures/fans, there is also a silk curtain divider for one of the rooms... as I said I've seen some BAD paint jobs by people who thought they were good.

    Steve Babiak, with the lawn, they are a married couple just out of college and I could somewhat relate, when I moved into my first house, the lawn got long because I had no idea about anything having to do with mowers or lawn care. The PM called them to make sure they knew it was their responsibility and let them know the city's penalties for not doing it. So I am accounting it to them being young and new (for now). They told the PM it had been mowed once, that they thought the neighbor did it. I think it was him too (the one who called me), he's been known to mow people's lawns and shovel snow for them, as that's the way he is, but he shouldn't have to do that.

    But yeah I'd be less concerned about the paint job too if they kept the lawn meticulously neat and so on, anyway.

  • Dawn AnastasiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    13y

    If they were willing to use your painter so you know that the job would be done right AND the colors were neutral AND they paid for the job, then yes that makes sense.

  • SFR Investor · South Bend, IN · Member since 2013 · 342 posts · 56 votes
    13y

    Dawn A., I'll see what they come back with, if anything. At least I can be prepared with a response now. Thanks a bunch.

  • Rental Property Investor · Northern, CA · Member since 2012 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    13y

    I would not allow them to paint for all the reasons already stated: 1) they just moved in, 2) it has already recently been painted and is still in good condition, 3) it sounds like it's presently a neutral color that would appeal to most people, and 4) you don't know the painting ability of the tenant (likely sub-par though).

    If you allow them to paint, you COULD have them sign something requiring them to later put it back to the same condition as it was when they moved in. But it's not likely they will.

  • Real Estate Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 268 votes
    13y

    That's why I have "no painting" clause in my rental agreement. They can want whatever they want, but they were warned about non-painting BEFORE moving in. Now you're in the tough spot. I'd allow them to paint but require them to prime the painted walls before turning the keys upon moving out. Have that in writing along with the specified penalty that can be deducted from the SD.

  • Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2013 · 292 posts · 81 votes
    13y

    I agree with the no-painting consensus. I don't trust my tenants with a paintbrush, wrench, or hammer.

    I wanted to throw out what one of the local apartment complexes nearby that caters to students does - it's right along what George has stated. If a tenant wants to repaint, they have to put down a hefty deposit prior to doing so (separate from the SD), as well as sign a form stating that they'll return the wall to its previous color prior to leaving. I have no idea how many tenants actually take them up on it...it seems more like a good way to squash a request early in the process.

  • SFR Investor · South Bend, IN · Member since 2013 · 342 posts · 56 votes
    13y

    All good suggestions. I think I'm going to either just say No, or they can pick the colors but must use my painter and pay for it, or the additional deposit idea. It must be returned to the original condition in any case.

    It may come to nothing if they don't come back with paint swatches, but at least I have some answers in case they do. Thanks!

  • Deborah BurianPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 412 votes
    13y

    We tell them up front, no painting. If long term, might provide my color for them to use but we standardize all of our colors so there is no decision making to be done. I've lost a few candidates but there are plenty more who understand and cooperate.

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2013 · 555 posts · 261 votes
    13y

    Just say no. Never ever let tenants paint. They NEVER do prep work, and paint starts to peel soon after. They think painting is as easy as picking out a can, and splashing it on the wall.

    I hate it when tenants want to paint perfectly good walls, especially when they want some fecal brown color.

    Antique white matches every kind of decoration imaginable.
    Tell them to go decorate.

    Even if you get a pro to paint, you're still making your paint thicker and thicker, and it will eventually fail.

    Stand firm. It's business. Not personal.

  • Rental Property Investor · Upstate, NY · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y

    We just finished a SFH rehab & the new tenants offered to have a professional painter paint the entire place @ their expense.
    My guys just did the Killz so I agreed as I was too tired to bother with it.
    They also put in their own new toilets, lighting, ceiling fans etc etc . @ Their cost.
    I understand 'she' is OCD.

    Last night I found a pile of old shutters against my barn???
    So this morning I checked the home to find they had not only completely landscaped the gardens but they installed new shutters!!!!

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2013 · 555 posts · 261 votes
    13y

    Pat L. I wish I could find tenants who could rehab my house like that.

    every one of my tenants trashes my houses just a little more.

    I feel they are only qualified to live in cardboard boxes on skid row.

  • Property Manager · Livonia, MI · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y

    did not read anything but up to the fist -.

    no. no paint until they have been there at least 2 yrs. period. not even up for debate.

    or something along those lines. :)

  • Member since 2011 · 798 posts · 216 votes
    13y

    Don't allow painting.

    It will be a mess.

    Carpets will be stained. Crown molding will be stained.

    Colors they choose will be dark or bright or messy.

    I WOULDN'T even allow them to hire a painter.

    What happens if they painter doesn't do a good job and tenants refuse to pay your painter?

    What if tenants choose bad color (happens all the time)?

    What if your painter that tenants hire falls and gets injured?

    What happens when there are layers upon layers of paint on the wall after years?

    What if the paint they buy is cheap and starts to peel or looks bad?

    Why should you have to go to a hassle to let them hire your painter? It will somehow turn out to be a hassle for you.

    I don't allow painting.

    I've had tenants ask. I say no, too messy and I hired professionals-- that's why I say "no wall painting" in lease.

    Tenants "could" paint without you knowing then you're left with damages. At least then you could deduct that from their security deposit if your lease specifies no paint. My lease says no painting of the house, crown molding, doors, fixtures, exterior, floors, ceilings, stairs, cabinets, etc.

    Those of you who have tenants nicely remodel at their own expense... wow, lucky. I'm jealous.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.