Who handles the maintenance on a property as a rental?

Who handles the maintenance on a property as a rental?

Realtor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2019 · 20 posts · 14 votes

Would is usually responsible for maintain the house? Such as making sure the grass is cut.

What responsibilities should the tenant have?

0Reply
33 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · TN · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
6y

Put the items in the lease that you want to tenants to do.  

I have the tenants do the lawn because I am have better things to do than to coordinate the lawn guy getting into the back yard, is the dog in or out, is the gate locked, are the kids playing there, is it someone's birthday party ... 

I put that tenants are responsible for light bulbs, trimming bushes, weeding.

I also put in the lease what the tenants can not do--paint, change fixtures, cut down trees, etc.

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · NorCal · Member since 2015 · 281 posts · 240 votes
    6y

    Tenants are not responsible for anything. The Landlord is responsible for everything. 

  • Realtor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2019 · 20 posts · 14 votes
    6y

    @Jim Spatzenfeld should you buy a house with no grass?

  • Investor · NorCal · Member since 2015 · 281 posts · 240 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Mark Dutton:

    @Jim Spatzenfeld should you buy a house with no grass?

    That’s easy in the desert regions in NV,AZ,UT. Grass is a major luxury there.


    You can have your tenant mow the lawn, but if he doesn’t do it and the City inspectors issues a ticket, the Landlord is responsible for paying the ticket. Ask me how I know.

  • Rental Property Investor · Concord, GA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    Tenants are responsible for maintaining the lawns, taking care of shrubs, cleaning the gutters, etc. Now I will say that most of our tenants do NOT clean the gutters so we go by from time to time and do it. We're way overdue on a few houses right now as we've been busy doing other things.

    This is SFR.

  • Rental Property Investor · TN · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    Put the items in the lease that you want to tenants to do.  

    I have the tenants do the lawn because I am have better things to do than to coordinate the lawn guy getting into the back yard, is the dog in or out, is the gate locked, are the kids playing there, is it someone's birthday party ... 

    I put that tenants are responsible for light bulbs, trimming bushes, weeding.

    I also put in the lease what the tenants can not do--paint, change fixtures, cut down trees, etc.

  • Kenneth GarrettPro Member
    Investor · Florida Panhandle/Illinois · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    @Mark Dutton

    On a SFH rental in my lease, the tenant is responsible for lawn maintenance (cut the grass and associated landscaping) as well as snow removal (midwest). If they do not maintain the lawn they will receive a 10 notice for violating the terms of the lease and to cure the violation. On my multifamily properties I hire a company to cut the grass. I have a 13 page addendum to my lease on rules and regulations.

  • Rental Property Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2020 · 40 posts · 31 votes
    6y

    On my single family rentals, my leases indicate tenant is responsible for yard maintenance. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    I split it on SFR. Tenant is responsible for grass and snow removal since these are recurring and is the norm for my area. If I were responsible for these it would either take a significant portion of my time or eat into my profits too much. I don't really want them hacking into my bushes or climbing ladders on my property so I take care of gutters and bushes once a year, more if needed.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.