How do you optimize self-showings?

How do you optimize self-showings?

Investor · Bella Vista, AR · Member since 2015 · 67 posts · 47 votes

My property management company utilizes self-showings and I'm curious to hear from others who also do this. Is there anything you do to optimize self-showing?

For example, typically a potential tenant would have the opportunity to ask questions, and the agent can point out features of the home or neighborhood during a showing. With a self-showing this doesn't happen and I'm considering leaving a pamphlet in the home to provide additional information.

I'd also love to hear if anyone has noticed an increase or decrease in the time it takes to rent a property after switching to self-showing.

1Reply
9 views

Most Popular Reply

Drew SygitBusiness Member
Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
6y

@Jennifer Rullmann because of the pandemic all we do now is self showings. The tire kickers don't waste our time anymore with questions that they really don't care about. The serious prospects are diligent about contacting us with their questions before applying.

So it's a great filtering tool figure out who's serious and who's not.

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2020 · 48 posts · 32 votes
    6y

    One idea would be to include a flyer or pamphlet with the key details of the unit, eg; requirements for applying (such as credit score), photos of the unit, list of rules (no smoking, pets), and a place to write down questions. In those photos you can highlight the pros. If you have hardwood or vinyl flooring, make a note that the tenant will have an easier time cleaning up a spilled drink. You can even have an application folded up inside the pamphlet in case they would like to take one home or even sign it there. You could have a folder for them to put their application right next to these pamphlets. (in terms of creating a sense of urgency and competition for completing the application, you could even fill out some fake applications and create your own stack, although I am not sure of the legalities of doing so). 

    Hope you find some use in these ideas :)

  • Investor · Bella Vista, AR · Member since 2015 · 67 posts · 47 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Avery Rustad:

    One idea would be to include a flyer or pamphlet with the key details of the unit, eg; requirements for applying (such as credit score), photos of the unit, list of rules (no smoking, pets), and a place to write down questions. In those photos you can highlight the pros. If you have hardwood or vinyl flooring, make a note that the tenant will have an easier time cleaning up a spilled drink. You can even have an application folded up inside the pamphlet in case they would like to take one home or even sign it there. You could have a folder for them to put their application right next to these pamphlets. (in terms of creating a sense of urgency and competition for completing the application, you could even fill out some fake applications and create your own stack, although I am not sure of the legalities of doing so).

     That's along the lines of what I was thinking as well. Do you do self-showings, and if so, is this something you do?

  • Member since 2020 · 48 posts · 32 votes
    6y

    @Jennifer Rullmann I currently am just doing as much reading and listening as I can at the moment as I am still in school. Therefore, I have not made my first investment yet. Nevertheless, I would like to believe based on the number of books I’ve read and podcasts I’ve listened to, that this would be a solid idea and something definitely worth pursuing.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Memphis, TN · Member since 2020 · 758 posts · 285 votes
    6y

    This is usually applicable if the property owners have smart lockbox technology. You need less coordination with self showing. It would be easier to show the property specially we have pandemic going on. And prospective renters/buyers can tour the property as soon as they want. But it's more appropriate for vacant rentals or vacant properties. Since prospects may have questions about the property it can be toughed for them to get answers on their own, so better prepare sort of a flyer. But there is always a risk that the property might get damaged without the supervision. 

    All the best!

  • Investor · Bella Vista, AR · Member since 2015 · 67 posts · 47 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Avery Rustad:

    @Jennifer Rullmann I currently am just doing as much reading and listening as I can at the moment as I am still in school. Therefore, I have not made my first investment yet. Nevertheless, I would like to believe based on the number of books I’ve read and podcasts I’ve listened to, that this would be a solid idea and something definitely worth pursuing.

    Good luck!

  • Investor · Bella Vista, AR · Member since 2015 · 67 posts · 47 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Aigo Pyles:

    This is usually applicable if the property owners have smart lockbox technology. You need less coordination with self showing. It would be easier to show the property specially we have pandemic going on. And prospective renters/buyers can tour the property as soon as they want. But it's more appropriate for vacant rentals or vacant properties. Since prospects may have questions about the property it can be toughed for them to get answers on their own, so better prepare sort of a flyer. But there is always a risk that the property might get damaged without the supervision. 

    All the best!

    Thanks - do you do self-showing yourself?

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Memphis, TN · Member since 2020 · 758 posts · 285 votes
    6y

    @Jennifer Schelkopf

    No. Our projects are usually single family homes and we did not install them with keyless locks. Due to the pandemic we provided 360 tours. 

  • Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Jennifer Rullmann

    Video tour that you narrate will help. 3D tour will also help. Then as suggested above, a good one sheet takeaway with instructions for next steps to apply.

  • Investor · Olathe, KS · Member since 2017 · 123 posts · 99 votes
    6y

    @Jennifer Rullmann

    I was thinking about having them call me on the phone and stay on with them while they walk the property. I would just have a lockbox on the door. That way I can explain things, answer questions and go over next steps. I’ve never done it before and always do showings in person. But I’m in the processing of buying a condo a little farther away from me than I normally buy which makes me want to try showings without being there. Some flyers and information in the house is a good idea too. Or maybe something you email them before they arrive.

  • Investor · Bella Vista, AR · Member since 2015 · 67 posts · 47 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Brendon Pishny:

    @Jennifer Rullmann

    Or maybe something you email them before they arrive.

    Emailing before they arrive sounds great - that way I wouldn't have to worry about printing something out, and could more easily change it over time.

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    6y

    @Jennifer Rullmann because of the pandemic all we do now is self showings. The tire kickers don't waste our time anymore with questions that they really don't care about. The serious prospects are diligent about contacting us with their questions before applying.

    So it's a great filtering tool figure out who's serious and who's not.

  • Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2017 · 589 posts · 251 votes
    6y

    Self guiding tour services like rently are available. Its great for delegation but I do feel like it takes away the personal interactions you need to get a feel for the tenant. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.