Finding real estate support team 90 miles away or further

Finding real estate support team 90 miles away or further

Troy WelchPro Member
Houston, TX · Member since 2018 · 36 posts · 12 votes

How do you go about finding the right person(s) to support your long distance investments?

I like to invest in properties near where I grew up But it is about 90 miles away and I have a full time job that requires me to be here. I know the area but I don’t have a team built to support the investment. 

In the area where I live, there is a company that is turnkey.  They come out, give you a price to do all of the work and a timeline.  They manage the whole thing and give the keys back to you when they finish.  Their prices may be a little higher than managing it myself - but my time is worth something too.  So in the end price may be a wash.  I don’t know of any companies like that in the investment area or don’t really know what to search for to find a reliable one there - Port Neches / Nederland / Beaumont area.

Here is what I have:

1. A good realtor

2. I have used a handyman in the past but don’t know if he will be available on the next fixer upper.  He did drywall, paint, trim, hung cabinets, installed laminate flooring. He wasn’t the fastest, but did good work and was trustworthy - 2 things I would take over speed any day.  One thing I really liked with him was that he was usually there when another contractor came to do work or could be there if needed.

3. Interior designer - my realtor’s wife - which is my wife’s best friend from high school - owns and interior design company.  We don’t necessarily need interior design but she has helped us with backsplash and flooring install.  So she has connections to contractors.

4.  Window installer - the price seems right - I buy the windows from his daughter (she doesn’t own the company, just works in the window dept for the local hardware store) he installs them for $100 each.

What I don’t have:

1. A reliable plumber.  Mine replaced copper pipe with pex, installed a new water heater, installed a clean out.  What he didn’t do was scope/clear lines like I asked which meant I had to call Roto Rooter out when his work van was broke down.  But he has come out a couple of times to assist with minor issues without charging.  I like him but just don’t get a solid reliability vibe from him.

2. Electrician - I have been ripped off by one company and treated fairly by another. The fair one seems to be on the high end though. But what would I know.

3. A/C tech - I have used the same A/C company for both houses but I don’t feel that we have a ‘you scratch my back and I’ll scratch yours’ relationship.  My son in law’s family owns an A/C company but are 120 miles away.  I asked them what they would charge their customers for the work done and it sounds like my A/C people are charging me the max rate.  I am not a fan of that

4. Roofer - I have rec’d wide ranges on replacing the shingles on my first house.

5. Lawn guy - I always need someone to mow the yard while I am getting the house ready to rent.  Last time it was the kid across the street - good job and cheap. Sometimes you need more landscaping work done and “the kid across the street” isn’t going to cut it.

0Reply
11 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2018 · 2 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    I live here in Nederland if you need any assistance lmk. I do more commercial developments locally but can assist you with some contacts reasonable & reliable  contractors.

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    6y

    You have people in the area that you already know and trust.  I'd ask them for recommendations as they will know good people in the area.

    Are you looking to do a flip, buy a fixer upper and then long term rental or buy a long term rental that may need a few minor things to get rental ready?  Buying in a town you grew up in and know, is good as you know the area.  Having someone who you can call for repairs is the biggest thing as you are 90 miles away. Turnovers are the big thing and honestly you could do that yourself.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.