Is it okay to ask my tenant to cut the grass?

Is it okay to ask my tenant to cut the grass?

Real Estate Investor · Glenwood, IL · Member since 2015 · 84 posts · 22 votes

I own a duplex. Is it okay to ask my tenants to cut the grass if i provide the lawn mower? Or is this tacky? The yard isn’t that big.

0Reply
186 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · The Vampire State · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
6y

I would not, under any circumstances, provide the lawnmower.  If someone gets hurt via its use, your butt will be in a sling of epic proportions.

Usually landlords have a provision in the lease that says X tenant is responsible for mowing the grass, and if that task is neglected, the landlord will pay for it to be done and bill it back to the tenant.

See this reply in the discussion

27 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    6y

    Lawn care, for their unit, should be specified in the lease. Typically in a age/duplex it is their responsibility. You can make any deal you want though. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Glenwood, IL · Member since 2015 · 84 posts · 22 votes
    6y

    @Wayne Brooks

    Thanks!

  • Investor · New York City, NY · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 269 votes
    6y

    @Samantha P.

    Yes absolutely. Matter of fact we ask a tenant in unit one of a duplex to be responsible for all lawn care.

    Best of luck in all your endeavors.

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    6y

    As Wayne said, they should be cutting their half of the yard anyhow. If you want them to do both sides, pay them to do the side that isn't theirs.

  • Real Estate Investor · Glenwood, IL · Member since 2015 · 84 posts · 22 votes
    6y

    @Theresa Harris

    It's a stacked top and bottom duplex. Maybe I'll ask one tenant to be responsible for the front and the other to be responsible for the back.

  • Rental Property Investor · The Vampire State · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    I would not, under any circumstances, provide the lawnmower.  If someone gets hurt via its use, your butt will be in a sling of epic proportions.

    Usually landlords have a provision in the lease that says X tenant is responsible for mowing the grass, and if that task is neglected, the landlord will pay for it to be done and bill it back to the tenant.

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    6y

    In a duplex there is thee ways to handle lawn care and it should be detailed in a lease:

    1. Owner provides - advantage is you know it gets done in a timely manner, so nobody is complaining (the city or one of the tenants). Disadvantage is cost and having to deal with it.

    2. Each tenant mows their half of the yard - this can be a problem if it is not a side-by-side with defined property. It could also be overkill to have two people mowing a small yard.

    3. One tenant is responsible - In this case I would give the tenant a rent reduction and detail that amount in the lease. Should they decide to stop mowing the lawn, you would start charging them the added rent. 

    Never provide the lawn mower. Not only due to liability but also because you will be stuck repairing it. Check your lease to see what it says about lawn care. If it is not spelled out that the tenant is responsible, it means you are responsible. You can modify the lease to make the tenant responsible, but compensate them with reduced rent. 

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    6y

    If it is an up down and both have access to the front and back yard, at lease renewal, I would up the rent to include lawn cutting.  You can then hire a company to come and do it.

  • Investor · Fort Washington, MD · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    I have never cut the grass for any tenant in any home I own. 

  • Member since 2020 · 22 posts · 7 votes
    6y

    I don't cut the gross nor remove the snow

  • Rental Property Investor · Canton, OH · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Samantha P.

    As others said, go with what your lease says. If it's not outlined that they are responsible for the lawn, then you'll probably need to cut it.

    Quite honestly, I just build the cost of the lawn into the rent amount for my duplexes. Then I atleast know the yard is being taken care of by my lawn gal.

  • Real Estate Broker · 3412 S. Harlem Avenue Riverside, IL 60546 · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    6y

    @Samantha P. I am really not a fan of having tenants provide maintenance services... I still have this arrangement in place with one of my tenants in a 19 unit in Berwyn and I don't like it. When that tenant moves on, I will hire a landscaper to do the grass. The thing I don't like about having tenants perform maintenance is that they typically do not do as good of a job, and they do not take care of the equipment. For instance, I purchased a mower last year for the tenant and this year it wouldn't start because he left gas in it all winter. Guess who he called? Me. My landscaper would have been responsible for his equipment and baked it into the price. 

  • Attorney · Carrollton, IL · Member since 2020 · 65 posts · 14 votes
    6y

    @Samantha P. Lots of great suggestions. I’ll simply add to NOT provide the lawnmower. The liability is far too great.

  • Investor · Fort Washington, MD · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    I guess I will start putting it in the lease but It's never been an issue in any single family home I have. They all assume they had to cut grass and take care of the home's appearance. 

  • Property Manager · Bangor, ME · Member since 2014 · 12 posts · 4 votes
    6y

    @Samantha P.

    We have allowed our tenants to mow the lawn in a single-family home they rented from us. Big mistake! They couldn't start the mower, although I could, and very easily.

    Either do it yourself, or make sure their rent is high enough to cover the expense. Good luck!

  • Investor · Fort Washington, MD · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Paul Ouellette I just have to assume that is an isolated event. I don't cut the grass on any of my single family homes and no one I know does this either. In most cases, a person who can't do basis stuff like that moves to a condo. People moving to single family homes have a mentality to do it anyway. Why pay for something or have an unneeded headache you don't have to be responsible for? I have never had an issue there and they were In all low income areas. 

  • Investor · Louisville, KY · Member since 2017 · 199 posts · 253 votes
    6y

    I would not have the tenant cutting the grass in anything except a sfh. 

    In the suggestions above I would be very careful about any of the following:

    Providing the lawnmower = I got burned on the lawnmower or a rock flew into my eye and it was becasue the lawnmower you provided me was not maintained and serviced to safety standards per the manufactures recommendations. And here is the letter from my lawyer saying you are responsible for all of my hospital bills as well as my workmans comp payments seeing that I was an employee of yours cutting the grass for your rental proerties.

    Oh, you have insurance. Great. My lawyer cant find the workmans comp coverage you had on myself when you hired me as an employee under the laws of this state. By the way, I have missed several days of work due to this eye injury and will not be able to pay rent until you pay me the workmans comp salary I am due. Its all covered here in this letter from my lawyer.

    Paying the tenant to cut the grass = see answer above

    Reducing the rent to cut the grass = see answer above

    Solution = Raise the rent to cover the cost of lawn care and hire a legit company with Liability and Workmans comp insurance and sleep well at night.

    Or...cut it yourself and sleep better because you are tired.

  • Real Estate Coach · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2017 · 272 posts · 414 votes
    6y

    Piling on to many similar responses...

    I've been SFH landlord and renter many times in the past 20 years. In almost every case, the tenant has been responsible for mowing the lawn. We did own one investment property where the HOA did all the yard maintenance (condo). As a tenant, I was never provided a lawnmower. What's more, in one house we rented with a more strict HOA, we had the additional responsibility of making sure the entire yard was within suitable standards (mowing and edging the lawn, trimming bushes, removing weeds, etc.).

    Whatever your policy, make sure it's in the lease.

    In our apartment complexes, we do pay for the landscaping and maintenance of grounds.  It would be rather difficult deciding who mows or who mows what in an 80-unit building....

  • Real Estate Agent · Albany, NY · Member since 2019 · 66 posts · 36 votes
    6y

    @Samantha P.

    I have always spelled it out in the lease who is responsible and what my expectations were for maintaining the lawn. This works well for single family homes and even duplexes. As noted, be careful about providing the equipment. If the lease stated that the tenant was responsible for lawn care and I noticed that it wasn't being done properly, I would then pay to have it done and bill it back to my tenants by putting a charge on their account. If they didn't reimburse me I would deduct it from the deposit. 

    Do not offer a rent credit prior to the work being done, as it will never get done. Credits can come the following month and/or at the end of the season. In NY the lawns may get mowed biweekly, so it's a marginal expense in the scheme of things. 

    Separately, this makes me think of when tenants ask "can we paint?" Earlier in my career I fell for this once or twice, but I have yet to find a tenant that can paint. 

  • Rental Property Investor · St Augustine, FL · Member since 2019 · 264 posts · 279 votes
    6y

    @Samantha P. Why not hire out lawn care and increase the rent. Early on I tried to let tenants care for the lawn. It just does work out well. That is no longer an option I offer.

  • Investor · Fayetteville, NC · Member since 2018 · 263 posts · 216 votes
    6y

    Need to include it as part of the rules on the lease so that that they understand the expectations up front. Then you can enforce it.

  • Rental Property Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2020 · 7 posts · 5 votes
    6y

    I personally cut the grass at my rental, but it’s bc I’m a new landlord so A. I don’t trust my tenant to do it and keep it looking nice B. He’s older and I “inherited him” and per previous lease, landlord is responsible and C. It gives me a reason to lay eyes on the property once a month. I pay someone to cut it once a month so we essentially alternate and it’s cut every 2 weeks. I don’t think it’s a one size fits all.

  • Real Estate Coach · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2017 · 272 posts · 414 votes
    6y

    @Rebekah Nation

    You're correct -- not one-size-fits-all.  I do like your approach - it's creative and takes advantage of the fact that you want to visit the property once per month. It's not assuming too much as a landlord either...

    Younger me, if living close to a SFR, would also have mowed the lawn to check-in and keep the property nice. 40-ish me now pays for lawns to be mowed so I can focus on stuff that brings in more money than I'm paying for the lawn to be mowed. And besides, I've mowed so many lawns in my life that I just don't like to do it.

  • Real Estate Coach · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2017 · 272 posts · 414 votes
    6y

    @Samantha P.

    One more note -- I did have a tenant that didn't take care of the yard very well.  I lived across the country and had a PM (that didn't visit the property often).  One of my relatives who lived in the neighborhood mentioned to me that the yard looked terrible...  Since yard maintenance was clearly in the lease as the tenant responsibility, the PM contacted the tenants and gave them a short period of time to mow the grass, trim the hedges, and weed the flower beds.  They did not comply, so we sent a landscaper out and billed the tenant.  When they moved out, we ended up applying most of their security deposit to getting the yard back into good shape, but that easily could have turned out as an extra expense for us.

    So, there are definitely things to consider before putting the tenant in control (as @John Warren also noted).  I've found that MOST tenants will at least do minimal upkeep on the yard. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.