How much do you pay for rental home insurance? (Canada)

How much do you pay for rental home insurance? (Canada)

Rental Property Investor · Chilliwack, BC · Member since 2019 · 20 posts · 9 votes

Just curious as to what other landlords are paying for home insurance with a tenanted SFH rental. I've got one property in Alberta and have my insurance set up through Square One, and am currently paying around $120 per month (Home covered at $220k valuation).

This SEEMS fair based on what I pay for my primary residence, but I'm not entirely sure. 

1Reply
13 views

Most Popular Reply

Theresa HarrisPro Member
Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
5y
Originally posted by @Cameron Andrews:

This is really insightful, thanks for starting the thread. Anyone willing to recommend a contact or company that they've used for their insurance? I pay quite a bit more on my Ontario property.

 TD Meloche Monnex is who I use.  Make sure they know it is for a rental property that you own, not your home.

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Edmonton, Alberta · Member since 2015 · 307 posts · 200 votes
    6y

    Our SFH and half duplexes in Alberta are $109 - $137/month, for property values that range $282K - $315K. Insurance has definitely gone up a lot in last year or so - some properties 20-30%.

    Yours seems a little high for the valuation, but its dependent on so many factors like sqft, age, location, etc. We also get a 5% discount for having multiple properties.

  • Rental Property Investor · Chilliwack, BC · Member since 2019 · 20 posts · 9 votes
    5y

    Appreciate the insight! We purchased a second property and shopped around until we found a different company with better rates and a better policy. We're now averaging $80 per property, per month.

  • Rental Property Investor · Edmonton, Alberta · Member since 2015 · 307 posts · 200 votes
    5y

     Nice! That’s a much better rate. We also shopped around for our latest purchase.  We saved a little bit while maintaining the same coverage for a rental 

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    5y

    Most of mine are $500 a year or less (replacement costs $140-400K). I have one that is higher as it is a mobile home and my normal insurance provider doesn't cover those.

  • Real Estate Investor · Tennessee · Member since 2016 · 46 posts · 3 votes
    5y

    This is really insightful, thanks for starting the thread. Anyone willing to recommend a contact or company that they've used for their insurance? I pay quite a bit more on my Ontario property.

  • Rental Property Investor · Troy · Member since 2017 · 175 posts · 271 votes
    5y

    An arm and a leg each month.  Thank goodness I also regenerate each month.

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Cameron Andrews:

    This is really insightful, thanks for starting the thread. Anyone willing to recommend a contact or company that they've used for their insurance? I pay quite a bit more on my Ontario property.

     TD Meloche Monnex is who I use.  Make sure they know it is for a rental property that you own, not your home.

  • London, Ontario · Member since 2018 · 104 posts · 38 votes
    5y

    @Theresa Harris

    I use Aviva for all my properties. They are pretty cheap once I bundled everything together. They also include a umbrella policy which is nice to have.

    If you want my contact for insurance. I’ll recommend you to my person, she’s an all star, feel free to DM me

  • Real Estate Investor · Tennessee · Member since 2016 · 46 posts · 3 votes
    5y

    @Tyler Stiller

    Thanks, Tyler. Just DM’d you

  • New to Real Estate · Ottawa Ontario · Member since 2020 · 23 posts · 19 votes
    5y

    @Cameron Andrews I just finished shopping around and found that Square1 has given me the lowest rates while still offering the coverage I need. It is an online company, I am not sure if that will help you or not but it has saved me a lot YoY.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.