4-plex located in single family neighborhood

4-plex located in single family neighborhood

Real Estate Agent · Southwick, MA · Member since 2019 · 86 posts · 17 votes

Hello BP,

I seen a potential lead on MLS recently, a 4-plex located in a single family neighborhood. I was wondering about the positives and negatives to this scenario.

It may be beneficial because their would likely be a high demand seeing how the supply is so low, but on the flip side, I'm thinking there is no other multifamily properties because there isn't enough demand in the neighborhood. I believe in the BRRRR book, David Greene said to be cautious in a neighborhood like this, for the very reason being that it is a warning that there isn't a high demand.

I will be house hacking it and it is also in a less populated, lower income area.

Thanks!

0Reply
21 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Stephen J DavisBusiness Member
    Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2017 · 529 posts · 467 votes
    6y

    I don't like plexus as a rule. Harder to lease and don't appreciate like single-family. Make sure you don't pay much more than what a single-family in the neighborhood costs and you should be fine. If not, walk away.

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Sebastian Roy:

    Hello BP,

    I seen a potential lead on MLS recently, a 4-plex located in a single family neighborhood. I was wondering about the positives and negatives to this scenario.

    It may be beneficial because their would likely be a high demand seeing how the supply is so low, but on the flip side, I'm thinking there is no other multifamily properties because there isn't enough demand in the neighborhood. I believe in the BRRRR book, David Greene said to be cautious in a neighborhood like this, for the very reason being that it is a warning that there isn't a high demand.

    I will be house hacking it and it is also in a less populated, lower income area.

    Thanks!

     Anytime you've got the opportunity to take down a 4-plex you should. My opinion it's the best type of rental property. Brings in the most rental income while still qualifying for a traditional 30 year mortgage. Best of both worlds.

  • Whitney HuttenPro Member
    Investor · Boulder, CO · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Sebastian Roy Is this the only 4-plex in the area?  If yes, you might have issues getting a good appraisal.  Consult a realtor to pull comps.

  • Real Estate Agent · Southwick, MA · Member since 2019 · 86 posts · 17 votes
    6y

    Thanks for the input everyone! @Stephen J Davis @Whitney Hutten yes it is, but I will have comps pulled and see what it will appraise for.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.