Can you rent out your additional rooms in Orlando?

Can you rent out your additional rooms in Orlando?

Real Estate Agent · Orlando, FL · Member since 2016 · 42 posts · 17 votes

Any property managers, lawyers, or experienced house hackers familiar with the laws in Orlando.

Are you allowed to rent out the rooms in the house that you currently live in with a month to month lease or a yearly lease?

I see that the city of Orlando allows you to airbnb your rooms (with some rules and registration), but I am referring to renting out your additional rooms based on a longer term lease with a singed contract.

Is this allowed? (ignore HOA restrictions for this question)

0Reply
47 views

Most Popular Reply

Tyler GibsonBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Orlando, FL · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
6y

@Claudio Trevisan even HOA restrictions typically only require a lease longer than 6 months. I know of a person @Jeffrey M Rauen doing this. I don't know if any law that would prohibit it. But perhaps a Florida property manager will chime in.

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Tyler GibsonBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Orlando, FL · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    @Claudio Trevisan even HOA restrictions typically only require a lease longer than 6 months. I know of a person @Jeffrey M Rauen doing this. I don't know if any law that would prohibit it. But perhaps a Florida property manager will chime in.

  • David PierceBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Deland, FL · Member since 2019 · 71 posts · 28 votes
    6y

    You can rent a room if the original lease allows it. 

    Mine do not. 

    If you vary from the original lease which is to code you break the code.

    PMI Central Florida
  • Real Estate Agent · Orlando, FL · Member since 2016 · 42 posts · 17 votes
    6y


    @Tyler Gibson Thank you for sharing!

    @David Pierce Hi David, thank you for your input, so there would be NO restriction if you own the property? Sorry, I should have clarified more, I own the property I live in and want to rent out the other rooms.

  • David PierceBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Deland, FL · Member since 2019 · 71 posts · 28 votes
    6y

    @Claudio Trevisan - no as long as they are not vacation rental type rents. IS that what you are trying to do? Or just monthly, 6 months, etc?

    PMI Central Florida
  • Real Estate Agent · Orlando, FL · Member since 2016 · 42 posts · 17 votes
    6y

    @David Pierce just monthly, 6 month type leases. No vacation rentals. 

  • David PierceBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Deland, FL · Member since 2019 · 71 posts · 28 votes
    6y

    You should be Ok.

    PMI Central Florida
  • Rental Property Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2016 · 55 posts · 15 votes
    6y

    Look at the HOA rules, but yes you can in most case. I'm doing that right now in SE orlando

  • Real Estate Agent · Orlando, FL · Member since 2016 · 42 posts · 17 votes
    6y

    Update: I spoke to the city of Orlando and confirmed that there are no restrictions for renting out a room if it’s 30days or more

  • Real Estate Agent · Orlando, FL · Member since 2014 · 231 posts · 130 votes
    6y

    @Claudio Trevisan You may want to check with a Cpa first.  Unless they changed the tax law, if a lease is 6 months or less you have to pay 6% state sales tax, plus any applicable discretionary sales surtax.  If the lease is a minimum of at least 7 months, the tax does not apply.  I can recommend a great Cpa if you do not have one.  

  • Real Estate Agent · Orlando, FL · Member since 2016 · 42 posts · 17 votes
    6y

    @Erin Legler

    Hi Erin, thank you for sharing. That’s a good thing to consider. 
    Would you mind sharing your CPAs info? I don’t need to reach out at the moment, but I may in the future. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.