Help screening a tenant from the UK

Help screening a tenant from the UK

Zayda ArzenBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Portland, OR · Member since 2018 · 9 posts · 0 votes

Dear BP Friends,

I have a tenant wanting to add a roommate. The applicant is apparently living in the US for a few years for an extended job assignment (film industry). Cozy.co isn't recognizing him for the purposes of tenant screening/background check. It gives an error message, saying it cannot verify his identity. Since he has only been in the US since November, I assume the software cannot pull any information about him, such as credit cards, registered addresses, voter registrations, SS#, etc. How can I screen him? And more importantly, how do I do a background check on him? We will be living in another unit in this multi-family property and it is crucial that he passes a background check. I'd appreciate any tips or information you can provide. Thank you,

0Reply
12 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Bjorn AhlbladPro Member
    Investor · Shelton, WA · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    6y

    @Zayda Arzen You can do a BG check on someone from the UK. If you google resources will come up. You are right to want to check him out thoroughly.

  • Zayda ArzenBusiness Member
    OP
    Real Estate Agent · Portland, OR · Member since 2018 · 9 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    @Bjorn Ahlblad

    It looks like I may be able to do a screening through Experian or Trans Union, but after a significant amount of Googling, I’m not sure there is a way to do a criminal background check on him. Do you think it’s sufficient to ask for a work visa, a copy of his passport, 3 pay stubs, and a few references? He will be added to the lease as a roommate of a few other tenants who have reportedly been great (I just inherited the tenants).

    Thoughts?

    Thank you!

  • Bjorn AhlbladPro Member
    Investor · Shelton, WA · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    6y

    @Zayda Arzen He was most likely screened as part of his work visa. So yeah, I think you have a good process. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.