Gas stoves or electric for a 6 unit, half air bnb?

Gas stoves or electric for a 6 unit, half air bnb?

Real Estate Agent · Tulsa, OK · Member since 2016 · 98 posts · 60 votes

Now is the time to decide. I’m down to the studs and have to tell the plumber by tomorrow if I’m going with gas or electric stoves. The project is being tuned into a 6 unit (all 1bed/1 bath) that half will be air bnb and the rest will be long term rental. Which is more cost effective?

0Reply
14 views

Most Popular Reply

Bob PaxsonPro Member
Flipper/Rehabber · Philadelphia · Member since 2019 · 45 posts · 17 votes
6y

I agree with @mike Roberts .....less utilities the better.. also in City of Philadelphia unpaid gas bills from tenant will go against the property nice fat Lien... Go with electric.... 

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Dothan Alabama · Member since 2017 · 161 posts · 97 votes
    6y

    I am not sure about the cost in that area, but I put in two electric stoves in my duplex in Vermont and the renters pay the utilities. I saw a renter hanging a jacket on a swinging planter holder near the gas stove and thought, they could burn my place down.
    Darrell

  • Member since 2019 · 17 posts · 9 votes
    6y

    With rentals, I think it is best to have as few utilities as possible, and avoid gas entirely if you can. Gas is always going to have a higher fire risk, along with possible CO issues. In something that small, I doubt there would be much difference in cost for the tenant between electricity and gas.

  • Bob PaxsonPro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Philadelphia · Member since 2019 · 45 posts · 17 votes
    6y

    I agree with @mike Roberts .....less utilities the better.. also in City of Philadelphia unpaid gas bills from tenant will go against the property nice fat Lien... Go with electric.... 

  • Real Estate Agent · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 115 posts · 61 votes
    6y

    @Corbin Marcotte I’ll play devils advocate here. In hell, we use natural gas to keep the fires going and the souls a cookin’!

    With gas, you will appeal to a foodie/amateur chef.... maybe even the next Gordon Ramsey crowd. Consider going with gas and emphasizing that as a premium feature of your unit compared to electric. If it’s Rittenhouse Square it will make a difference. Not so much in Bridesburg.

    Either way, if you’re putting sprinklers in your building....that mitigates the Fire risk from either.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.