Don't you already have enough money that you didn't earn?

Don't you already have enough money that you didn't earn?

Investor · Reston, VA · Member since 2011 · 683 posts · 191 votes

I was in landlord tenant court this morning to evict a tenant. She hasn't paid Sept., Oct., and now November. I got an e-mail after I got back home. "People like you make me sick". "You've ruined several lives". "Don't you already have enough money that you didn't earn". I have a long history with this tenant. She has been systematically late since the 2nd month she was there in May of 2009. I've bent over backwards to help her out. Any other LL would have evicted her 2+yrs ago. (yes, I am too soft on people). Why do people believe that they should live free? This is what is the matter with this Country. "You got it, I want it".

This was my first time in an actual trial and I've been a LL for 30yrs.

btw - this newly renovated TH is a pig-pen.

No more "breaks" for anyone. Sorry about the vent/rant.

1Reply
9 views

Most Popular Reply

Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
13y

Cheryl, some of this is on you. Both sides need to abide by the terms of the written agreement. Obviously your tenant has not, but what about you? If you flex from your terms, how do they know what you really require next time? Perhaps you'll flex again. The boundaries are indistinct.

I've been guilty of this, too. Now I work hard to set the expectation that the lease is a contract, and we will both meet it's requirements, and if no,t the lease has remedies that we will follow. It sets the standards for a healthy working relationship. Can you dispense grace? Of course, but make sure you still abide by the lease. I.e. Eviction process for late/non payment.

See this reply in the discussion

19 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Realtor · Houston, TX · Member since 2011 · 916 posts · 296 votes
    13y

    All it takes is one bad tenant to completely change a LL's attitude. Some tenant's think LL's have a lot of money or come from money.

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    13y

    Nah, if you have done well it's because of who you are, so stay that way. Just have to understand that people like that won't take responsibilty for their failures and need to shift the blame.....let them, they know you helped out and so do you! :)

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    13y

    Cheryl, some of this is on you. Both sides need to abide by the terms of the written agreement. Obviously your tenant has not, but what about you? If you flex from your terms, how do they know what you really require next time? Perhaps you'll flex again. The boundaries are indistinct.

    I've been guilty of this, too. Now I work hard to set the expectation that the lease is a contract, and we will both meet it's requirements, and if no,t the lease has remedies that we will follow. It sets the standards for a healthy working relationship. Can you dispense grace? Of course, but make sure you still abide by the lease. I.e. Eviction process for late/non payment.

  • Saint Paul, MN · Member since 2012 · 8 posts · 1 vote
    13y
    Originally posted by Bill Gulley:
    Nah, if you have done well it's because of who you are, so stay that way. Just have to understand that people like that won't take responsibilty for their failures and need to shift the blame.....let them, they know you helped out and so do you! :)

    I agree with Bill! Don't let a crappy person get the best of you so much that it ruins your attitude & co-op nature. I've had this happen with a commercial tenant late paying & after they were gone things changed for the better. I also make everyone sign up at erentpayment for residential & commercial is auto ACH payments. Having a 3rd party on line system do rent collection takes the personalities/drama out of it.

  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    13y

    Did you ask her is she steals from Walmart, too? Because tenants who don't pay rent are thieves just the same as if they walked out of Walmart with a buggy of stuff. I provide a place to live, they pay rent. If there is a hiccup, and we can work it out, we will. Multiple months of no rent isn't a hiccup. Move quickly next time.

  • Clemson, SC · Member since 2012 · 82 posts · 19 votes
    13y

    Some people just have an entitlement mentality and think that people better off than them should give them more breaks/free stuff. You're doing nothing wrong if you provide a good place to live at a fair price.

    I don't like giving handouts to people that expect handouts now and will expect more later. Don't let this jade your attitude towards tenants - I'm sure you have come across plenty of tenants that are on the positive side of the spectrum.

  • Investor · Reston, VA · Member since 2011 · 683 posts · 191 votes
    13y

    Thanks for the responses. I'm just not the gov't or social welfare and that seems to be what some tenants think. They should have free rent because I might be better off financially? I agree with all your comments. Jon Klaus, yes I am too soft. My major error was thinking that she was taking good care of the property. I should have inspected. Jon Holdman, yes this is "theft" in my book and should be treated as such. William D., this is a major socio-economic problem. I went to court to get the unlawful detainer so others wouldn't fall victim to this tenant. What happened to personal responsibility? I've had tenants in the past that just moved/left.

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Mc Keesport, PA · Member since 2012 · 449 posts · 154 votes
    13y

    Cheryl C.
    Obviously this tenant is ignorant of how business works. That's not your fault. Certainly don't feel guilty over it! Here's a couple ideas that have helped me with this:

    I tell the tenant this: I only asked that you do two things: Pay the rent and keep the home in good condition. You haven't kept up on your end of the agreement to do one of those two things. Now that you've forced my hand, are you going to complain about what is written? I ask this question and keep quiet. They are usually stunned by this question... shocked back into reality.

    Also I ask, "If something happens and I can't pay the mortgage on MY house are you going to pay it for me?" If they answer at all of course they say "No". Then I say, "So why should I pay your bills? Your rent is your bill not mine."

    By the way, I've actually had several tenants whom I evicted refer friends or family members to me. Those are interesting calls to take! And the conversation goes something like this: "Hi Jerry. I'm so-and-so's friend. She said that you are a good landlord and I'm looking for a place. Do you have anything available?" The point is, if you do always do the right thing even people who try to get over on you end up recognizing that YOU are not the problem. You just have to know how to communicate with people. Real estate easy... as dumb as a rock. It's people who are difficult.

  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    13y

    "This was my first time in an actual trial and I've been a LL for 30yrs."

    Then in my view you are doing amazing. My first year I had to evict tons of people and was in court multiple times.

    The fact that you have not had to be in court all this time you should count yourself lucky.

    I don't know how many other landlords can make the same claim as you but it would be a very small group.

    While you can please most you can never please everyone.

  • Investor · Reston, VA · Member since 2011 · 683 posts · 191 votes
    13y

    Joel Owens, I've had enough bad experiences over the past 30 yrs., I've just never had anyone with the nerve to go to court and lie. My lawyer had told me that people who have nowhere to go will stretch things out as long as possible. I'm not the best LL. I've been taken before - but they usually leave before any filings. I have 20+ very happy tenants at present. I'm just going to be very careful going forward. And, I won't give anyone a second chance.

  • SFR Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2009 · 484 posts · 181 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Cheryl C.:
    I was in landlord tenant court this morning to evict a tenant. She hasn't paid Sept., Oct., and now November. I got an e-mail after I got back home. "People like you make me sick". "You've ruined several lives". "Don't you already have enough money that you didn't earn". I have a long history with this tenant. She has been systematically late since the 2nd month she was there in May of 2009. I've bent over backwards to help her out. Any other LL would have evicted her 2+yrs ago. (yes, I am too soft on people). Why do people believe that they should live free? This is what is the matter with this Country. "You got it, I want it".

    This was my first time in an actual trial and I've been a LL for 30yrs.

    btw - this newly renovated TH is a pig-pen.

    No more "breaks" for anyone. Sorry about the vent/rant.

    30 years without going to court?!

    You deserve a medal!

    You're doing *something* right.

  • Investor · Roswell, GA · Member since 2008 · 231 posts · 104 votes
    13y

    At least she didnt tell you that "You didnt build that...."

    I am in awe that in 30 years this is your first time going to court. I had a very similar tenant in my very first property, but it has made me a better landlord since then. Some people just feel like they are entitled to things. I have gone to court several times, but never had to evict anyone since then. Its amazing how quickly people find money when there is an eviction looming...

  • Investor · Reston, VA · Member since 2011 · 683 posts · 191 votes
    13y

    Yes, I didn't build that. I have "enough" to let people live free. Not to be political, but I sure hope we see some change. This theme seems to be gaining traction.

    You want to hear her defense? I refused to be home for her to bring cash and sign a receipt. I had told her to get a money order. Sorry, I don't want random tenants coming to my house. The landlord/tenant act here requires that I give an address. She told the judge that she had "legal advice" not to give rent without a receipt. This was supposedly from "legal aid" (that we all pay for). The judge told her to be careful who she listens to.

  • Property Manager · Kissimmee, FL · Member since 2012 · 68 posts · 8 votes
    13y

    Cheryl, the hardest part of this business for me is when a former tenant or a landlord that I've had to separate myself from brings into question my honesty, integrity or business practices. I know that I am solid in those three areas but it still bugs me to this day. Usually, when this happens, I end up spending several days recounting the entire relationship making sure that I treated them fairly, honestly and with integrity. Heck, sometimes I lose sleep over it. You're doing great. Keep up the good work.

  • Chris K.Pro Member
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 655 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Cheryl C.:
    Not to be political, but I sure hope we see some change. This theme seems to be gaining traction.

    Lol I had a feeling this would come up after the govn't/welfare comment. Was this a section 8 tenant?? This is your first time having to evict in 30 years and you claim that's gaining traction lol?? I'd LOVE to have your 30:1 odds.

  • Investor · Reston, VA · Member since 2011 · 683 posts · 191 votes
    13y

    Chris K., no not section 8 (although I have an excellent section 8 tenant). Sorry about the "political" comment (but I am glad you live in MD :) ) Eric Blackford, you got it right. I'll have to think about something fun. Did I mention how "extremely selfish" I am? Lest you all think I'm some LL wizard - NOT. I've had my share of losers but most leave after they get a 5 day notice.

  • David NilesBusiness Member
    Property Manager · DeLand FL · Member since 2012 · 860 posts · 243 votes
    13y

    Unfortunately Cheryl, its my favorite adage "no good deed goes unpunished"

  • Investor · Southeast, MI · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Cheryl C.:
    Yes, I didn't build that. I have "enough" to let people live free. Not to be political, but I sure hope we see some change. This theme seems to be gaining traction.

    You want to hear her defense? I refused to be home for her to bring cash and sign a receipt. I had told her to get a money order. Sorry, I don't want random tenants coming to my house. The landlord/tenant act here requires that I give an address. She told the judge that she had "legal advice" not to give rent without a receipt. This was supposedly from "legal aid" (that we all pay for). The judge told her to be careful who she listens to.

    I would HIGHLY advise against giving tenants your home address. There are so many crazies out there. You never know when a desperate individual will vandalize your house or worse, murder you.

    A post office box is well worth the $60 per year. It keeps your home life private. Also, it makes it difficult for a disgruntled tenant to sue you as they will have a hard time finding you, and you can't be served at a P.O. box.

    I use my P.O. box for everything and I have an unlisted phone number. That's $60 per year, but also worth it. Especially now when everyone is getting robo calls for the election. I don't get those.

  • Real Estate Investor · chicago, IL · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 231 votes
    13y

    Rob K when are you gonna write that book? Man, you've got outstanding advise.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.