Tenant complained about damages after repair

Tenant complained about damages after repair

Madison, WI · Member since 2019 · 21 posts · 12 votes

We have installed a new window in our tenant's apartment. Tenant sent us the following email "We would like to address an incident resulting from the window installation. We noticed today that some of our property was damaged I have attached pictures. One of the figurines that was on top of our wedding cake made by a friend has been permanently damaged and I don't think it could be fixed. We were not notified of the damages. The workers left a bunch of metal and screws on our bookshelf as well as a bunch of dust and some of it was placed directly on one of our wooden pictures. Another thing that is concerning to us is our camera was unplugged while they were working. I understand if this needs to be dealt with after the holidays. I just wanted to touch base before I forgot."

This is the first time for us please advise what to do and how to respond? We did notify them that we will have people coming to install a new window way in advance and a day before the event. Yes, we assumed that they would move stuff away from the window but looks like they didn't. 

We appreciate all the suggestions! Thank you!

4Reply
50 views

Most Popular Reply

Natalie KolodijBusiness Member
Moderator
Tax Strategist| National Tax Educator| Accepting New Clients · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
6y

I'm shocked by those of you who are saying to remove the tenant and that they're a bad tenant. 

If workers were unsupervised in my home (even if renting it)

Broke my stuff. 

Unplugged the camera that would prove it. (what ethical company does this? I'd be making sure nothing was missing in my house for days because this would freak me out)

I'd be upset too- Maybe even more so than this tenant. They seem super chill about it and not being rude or demanding at all. 

See this reply in the discussion

33 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · Omaha · Member since 2019 · 22 posts · 5 votes
    6y

    @Elena Koyun

    Yes That tenant seemed very non-threatening. As though she is trying to do her best to work with you. Construction people don’t care. They look for ways to cut corners on time and some Situations quality of workmanship. I would be sympathetic and ask her what it you could do that would remedy the situation for her. And then do it

  • Investor · Clatskanie, OR · Member since 2014 · 212 posts · 233 votes
    6y

    I agree Mathew this is petty stuff. If this gets out of hand, I would remove the tenant. There is nothing worse than dealing with a petty tenant. You will never be able to enjoy traveling abroad if toilets are always making noise and leaves are falling into gutters causing major issues. If a bird ever got into the attic you may have a major emergency to deal with. 

  • West Bend, WI · Member since 2016 · 18 posts · 13 votes
    6y

    @Elena Koyun

    I’m a landlord and exterior contractor. Everyone wants to cya, save money, and deny responsibility. However most of the time it’s simpler to just accommodate. If this has been a good tennant without a history of complaints here’s what I would say.

    “Thanks for reaching out to me, some small damage and dust is to be expected when updating your home however this is concerning to me. I will contact the contractor about this, what can we do to make this right?”

    Maybe they want a hundred bucks, maybe they want nothing and just need to express frustration, or want you to know they had issues in case other people were complaining as well. You don’t know what they want until you ask in this case. By asking what you can do to make it right is not an admission of guilt or accepting responsibility, it’s just asking what would make them happy. If they say they want $10,000 for their trouble then you have some questions to solve.

  • Rental Property Investor · Ankeny, IA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    @Shawn Coverdell . I'm assuming by "remove the tenant" you mean you will not renew their lease? Because you sure are about to get yourself into a lot of legal issues if you try evicting a tenant for reporting damaged personal property by your repairman. No, you do not remove a tenant for reporting that your repair company caused damage and failed to clean up after themselves. If anything, you might want to think about firing said repair company, not blaming the tenant for the repair companies inadequacies. 

  • Ned J.Pro Member
    Investor · Manteca, CA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y
    Talking about removing this tenant is absurd. This pretty minor stuff and justified on the tenant side. They aren't being a-holes or demanding big $$. If you scream "remove this tenant" then you must expect every tenant to be completely perfect with zero issues or incidents....good luck with that Pretty minor stuff and more on the contractor that the tenant
  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    6y

    I always put my precious family heirlooms right near a demolition site or where I know there’s construction projects being done . This is absurd and most seasoned landlords can see through this . I would hope so anyway but judging by the bleeding heart comments on here I can see they fall for these tactics . Talk about tenants training the landlords lol The tenants should call their renters insurance if they are that devastated .  They are trying to milk you homie . It’s bogus and sadly folks on here don’t even see it . They left some dust ! Oh no whatever shall they do now ! They left screws ! Oh my gosh what if they accidentally swallowed one and it got lodged in their throat ! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Fleming Island, FL · Member since 2019 · 85 posts · 104 votes
    6y

    @Dennis M. Bingo

  • Investor · Clatskanie, OR · Member since 2014 · 212 posts · 233 votes
    6y

    No you don't remove a tenant for complaining about damages. There are many ways to remove tenants. It is best to know each and every one of them. You may be dealing with a different class of people or something, but in my area you don't let a tenant hassle you about dust or broken trinkets they left laying around after ample warming that you were going to be doing work there. You have to be creative in how you approach things or you will have a difficult time. Once you show weakness, a pattern begins. I have never EVER once found appeasement to work out. They will want to see what else they can get from you. landlording is not the same as contracting. I do both. 

    I used to have several tenants that would quote state laws. I don't have them anymore and things are nice and quiet. Those homes are now occupied buy decent people who are happy to have a home and adult enough to deal with life's daily problems. 

    Shawn Coverdell

    Homes in the Hood

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.