SmartMove and Social Security Verification

SmartMove and Social Security Verification

Real Estate Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2011 · 49 posts · 19 votes

I just used SmartMove for the first time and it was great except for one big problem. It is likely the last time I use it.

I like that in the application phase a prospective tenant doesn't have to give me all their highly sensitive data (social security number mainly), I can just get the non-sensitive other information on an application. When that application looks good and is selected, I sent them the email. Then they input their sensitive information and I get a great credit & criminal report. This even makes file keeping even easier because I don't have to have files locked and highly encrypted/secure because they have social security numbers on them.

The problem: I never get the social security number once they become a tenant. I can ask them for the ss number when they sign the lease, but now I don't have a way to verify it matches what they provided to SmartMove. In the unlikely scenario they give me a fake ss number, or get a digit wrong, I am now in a much worse position to collect unpaid rent if I have to go the collections/garnishment route.

I don't know how a landlord can verify that the ss number I have been provided matches the identity that was put online. It seems like it limits the value/protection for landlord of the service SmartMove provides.

Having done only 1 verification, it seems to me that SmartMove needs to enable the Tenant/Applicant to be able to send this information, verified by SmartMove, to the Landlord when they do enter into a lease. I understand that they may not want it shared with the landlord if they do not enter a lease.

Am I missing something here or is this a major hole in the SmartMove service? I love everything about the service, but won't be using it again because of this problem. Thanks.

0Reply
61 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Northern, CA · Member since 2012 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
14y

Albert Hepp Obviously you are going to want to get the tenant's social security number AND verify that it is the correct one prior to them moving in. So why not just have your prospective tenants fill out a written application, and then run their information yourself (using a different service if SmartMove doesn't allow it)? That way you know you get the correct info, or at least it's pretty easy to figure out when they lie to you.

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    14y

    Albert -
    Here's the response from our rep at SmartMove:
    TransUnion SmartMove was designed as a consumer initiated website to help landlords avoid having to pay membership fees and go through stringent compliance to obtain a potential renter’s credit and criminal information. Because of this design, the consumer is the one who actually initiates the release of his or her credit and criminal data. To protect the consumer, SmartMove allows them to provide their information directly to TransUnion in a secure, online environment, so it won't go any farther.

    Unfortunately, we are unable to provide any of the personal identifying information ( i.e. SSN, DOB etc.) that a renter entered online through SmartMove to a prospective Landlord as it would violate our privacy policy, service agreement and the security measures we take to protect personal information. I have attached our privacy policy and the Landlord and Renter Service Agreements [not attached to this message]. For Landlords that wish to report a tenant’s rental history, we recommend contacting a collection agency to have any monies owed reported on a credit report. Many apartment associations also have resources for independent landlords.

  • Rental Property Investor · Northern, CA · Member since 2012 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    14y

    Albert Hepp Obviously you are going to want to get the tenant's social security number AND verify that it is the correct one prior to them moving in. So why not just have your prospective tenants fill out a written application, and then run their information yourself (using a different service if SmartMove doesn't allow it)? That way you know you get the correct info, or at least it's pretty easy to figure out when they lie to you.

  • Realtor · Houston, TX · Member since 2011 · 916 posts · 296 votes
    14y

    Albert Hepp If you choose them, ask to see their DL or state ID and SS card to verify their identity. Make a copy or take a picture. If they won't show it to you, at least you didn't waste any time since they filled out their own info on SmartMove.

  • Rental Property Investor · Northern, CA · Member since 2012 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    14y
    Originally posted by Shanequa J.:
    Albert Hepp If you choose them, ask to see their DL or state ID and SS card to verify their identity. Make a copy or take a picture. If they won't show it to you, at least you didn't waste any time since they filled out their own info on SmartMove.

    That's a good point. After I have chosen the tenants, I have them bring a copy of their driver's license and social security card to give to me when they sign the lease agreement.

  • West, MI · Member since 2012 · 674 posts · 182 votes
    14y

    Have them fill out a Standard application, done.

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    14y
    Originally posted by Kyle J.:
    ... After I have chosen the tenants, I have them bring a copy of their driver's license and social security card to give to me when they sign the lease agreement.

    I don't even want to take an application from anybody without the ID being given first. So I certainly won't approve an application where the ID hasn't been given.

  • Rental Property Investor · Northern, CA · Member since 2012 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    14y
    Originally posted by Steve Babiak:
    Originally posted by Kyle J.:
    ... After I have chosen the tenants, I have them bring a copy of their driver's license and social security card to give to me when they sign the lease agreement.

    I don't even want to take an application from anybody without the ID being given first. So I certainly won't approve an application where the ID hasn't been given.

    Ideally it would be nice to get that when the application is submitted. But the reality is that not everyone carries around their DL and social security card so they may very well not have it with them when they apply.

    I don't worry about it too much because the tenant screening I do always tells me if the social security number and DL number match the other information the applicant provided. So, assuming the information verified, as long as I get it before we finalize the agreement I'm fine with it.

  • Realtor · Houston, TX · Member since 2011 · 916 posts · 296 votes
    14y

    Just because someone shows you their ID doesn't mean anything. How many fake IDs and SS cards are out there? It doesn't matter if they show it to you at the beginning because most people cannot spot a fake ID that's well made anyway.

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    14y

    I can't say I've seen fake ID or not. But it's just a different part of screening out the less desirable ones. They see you're not an easy mark, and they go on their way looking for some hobbyist landlord or small-time mom-n-pop landlord.

  • Investor · Washington, DC · Member since 2016 · 175 posts · 73 votes
    8y

    I agree with this issue, and I wish they (smartmove) gave the landlords the social security number, or had the option.

    I recently realized that asking for a W2 is a nice way to get the SSN also. and verify last years income too.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.