Multi Family house. One thermostat but two meters

Multi Family house. One thermostat but two meters

Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 2 votes

I live in a multi family house and we have two meters but only one thermostat. The basement and the 2nd and 3rd level are on one bill and  the first floor is on a separate bill. What is needed to install a second thermostat on the first floor unit?

1Reply
31 views

Most Popular Reply

OH · Member since 2019 · 1 post · 2 votes
6y
You may need more than a thermostat to resolve this issue. If you are the owner then I recommend calling an HVAC contractor in to asses the current system and provide recommendations. 
See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • OH · Member since 2019 · 1 post · 2 votes
    6y
    You may need more than a thermostat to resolve this issue. If you are the owner then I recommend calling an HVAC contractor in to asses the current system and provide recommendations. 
  • Real Estate Investor · Des Moines, IA · Member since 2016 · 922 posts · 533 votes
    6y

    @Chantelle Walker

    Hi there,

    Well, a separate t-stat without a separate air handler (ie: furnace, blower, etc) will not help you.

    You need to see if those separate meters in fact feed two separate 

    If someone at the time wired one t-stat output to BOTH units, then that's strange.  You'd have to basically run new t-stat wire to one of the units (the one that feeds the area from an air perspective) and abandon (disconnect) the terminations of the existing wire at that unit.

    Watch some youtube videos for how to do those control wire terminations.

  • Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    @Jim Goebel thanks! Would an electrician or an HVAC person be the correct person to help me figure this out?

  • Real Estate Investor · Des Moines, IA · Member since 2016 · 922 posts · 533 votes
    6y

    @Chantelle Walker

    Yourself!  First understand yourself :)  But an HVAC contractor would have the best chance of knowing the systems and what your options are.  I'd talk to at least 2/3 as at least in my area its hard to find HVAC folks with integrity.

  • Tampa, FL · Member since 2018 · 60 posts · 47 votes
    6y

    You definitely need to call an HVAC contractor. If I am understanding correctly, there is only one AC? If this is the case you will need to have another installed to be able to have two thermostats. 

  • Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    We do not have central air, so this would all be for heat @Jessica Bridges. I figured if we have two meters (per unit) for both electricity and gas we should be able to have two thermostats? 

  • Tampa, FL · Member since 2018 · 60 posts · 47 votes
    6y

    I am in Florida, so we do not have gas heating. But I would assume that you would still need to have separate systems to have multiple thermostats just as you would for Central AC? I would still call the HVAC company. They should still be able to answer correc tly for you. :)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.