Needy Tenant With Incessant Requests

Needy Tenant With Incessant Requests

Flipper/Rehabber · NJ · Member since 2018 · 40 posts · 44 votes

Looking for advice from some experienced landlords!

In short, we have a tenant whose lease started July 1,2019. Since she moved in her requests and complaints have been incessant. From the initial walkthrough, lease was already signed, my husband sensed that things would be very different from our previous tenats. She sent a follow up email complaining about the following, to name a few:

Small scratch on stainless steel fridge

slight discoloration in grout about sink

penny size chip in tub

screen doors don't slide smoothly

Additionally, she asked us to come spray the house because she saw centipedes and has a bug allergy. When I told her that those are from the age of the building, she called the next morning and said that she saw a roach. I scheduled Terminex to come spray and assess the property and set up a contract for them to come spray quarterly. I am trying to keep her out of my hair. Terminex said the place is immaculate; it is newly renovated and well maintained.

Two weeks later she asked me to have them come again and set up the appointment because Terminex put her on hold for twenty minutes. Then she asked if we can buy her magnetic screens for the sliders since the screens  doors that we need for the balconies are on back order. Please note, I am summarizing her requests.

I understand that being a landlord is a business and I am doing my best to address her concerns accordingly, but there seems to be a disconnect somewhere. I am happy to address issues, but I'm not willing to incur additional costs for her requests that are superficial.

My question is: how would you handle this tenant? In a few months would you let her know that you will not be renewing the lease? Would you keep her since she is paying?

I welcome all advice. 

Thanks, BP!

6Reply
372 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
7y

@Jessica M. Does she call you or just email? If it’s email I would just tell her that you won’t be fixing those things as they are non-essential to the property. Continue the quarterly pest control and probably leave it at that.

If it continues or she makes a bigger scene I would let her out of her lease if she wished, while keeping the deposit as a lease termination fee (assuming that’s in the lease)

See this reply in the discussion

71 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego · Member since 2019 · 109 posts · 87 votes
    7y

    @Jessica M. You’re right about there being more to vetting tenants than just a good credit score. That said, it’s hard sometimes to get an accurate impression of someone in a 15 minute walkthrough with them.

    As others have said, deny non-essential requests while maintaining a professional relationship with the tenant and then don’t renew when the lease is up.

  • Real Estate Agent · Cupertino, CA · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    For exact reason you need to hire a pm. They know what is BS and what needs to be focused. I see that sliding shower is a maintenance issue. 

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2019 · 512 posts · 301 votes
    7y

    @Jessica M. Ask yourself, who is going to take this women and give her what she wants?

    Desperate landlords and landlords running at a loss.

    That should hopefully give you perspective on how to handle on her

    “well we did spray down, we did(on the lease) lease the property over to you declaring it was in pest free condition. I can recommend you a pest pro our agents recommend to their clients”

    Unless she can prove what’s attaching the bugs was there before her or that there enough to be worth coming out for, she’s gotta prove where hey are coming from. So you can tell her if they discover it was something on our end, then you will flip the bill otherwise it’s her risk to call and pay for moreeee pest control.

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2019 · 512 posts · 301 votes
    7y

    @Jessica M. I feel like she got the move in like dmg checklist confused and thought it was like a list of repairs requested for brand new occupant. It’s not unheard of

  • Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 146 posts · 35 votes
    7y

    @Jessica M. You are the master here, with all due respect, she can only do what you allow. Decline anything that is not necessary professionally and with all due respect. Documents, documents, and document everything. I praying for you. Resist all urge to take it personal.

  • Rental Property Investor · Buffalo, MN · Member since 2010 · 511 posts · 92 votes
    7y

    Yes, lots of great advice given here. Don't take any of what the tenant says personal, its a business maintain a professional manner. Keep in mind things are gonna happen, and deal with them, improving your lease for future issues. Never respond to anything outside of business hrs.

    Tenant might of brought bugs, or invited. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2019 · 111 posts · 38 votes
    7y

    @Jessica M.

    I would start running an ad immediately and tell her it sounds like she's not happy here and you're more than willing to let her out of the lease as soon as you find a new tenant and also as far as the Spraying goes next time tell her everything out removed all the dresser drawers, note stands,all the dishes out of the cabinets everything has to be cleared out I've seen tenants do that but when u tell them that they have to really move things out to spray suddenly the bugs disappear Sounds to me like she wants a discount in rent don't give it to her

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2019 · 111 posts · 38 votes
    7y

    @Caleb Heimsoth

    I totally agree I live on the property with my tenants and they think they can just come up to my door knock on it when ever :(

  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Gina Cardarella:

    @Caleb Heimsoth

    I totally agree I live on the property with my tenants and they think they can just come up to my door knock on it when ever :(

    Biggest downside to house hacking that’s never discussed

  • Investor · Lees Summit, MO · Member since 2018 · 74 posts · 33 votes
    7y

    @Jessica M. I had a tenant like this once. I actually liked her, but her demands became silly.

    I got to the point that I told her that maybe this wasn’t the place for her and that she should consider that, as there was not much more I could do for her requests. The house is what it is - a nice older home in an older neighborhood. That wasn’t going to change.

    I agreed to let her out of her lease, while she looked for a new place. She moved into a newer condo uptown, more suitable to her personal taste with modern amenities.

    I feel like I helped her help herself and me.

    That same house has housed the same tenant since then, and they are happy as can be.

    Good luck!

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2018 · 9 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    One (of many) of the paragraphs in my lease addendum.. please keep in mind that any changes/additions that you make to a lease should be approved by an attorney so that it will comply with all laws.  That being said: 

    General Condition of Rental:
    As you can see, this home is not new construction. We have made every attempt,
    within the owner’s budget, to make it nice for you. It may however, have some quirks.
    We will repair or replace anything that is a health or safety issue. Please keep in mind
    however that the final decision belongs to the owner on all items that are not a health or safety issue.

    ---


    You should have them sign/date a MIMO (move in move out) with supporting pictures..  I make this a requirement to return to me within 10 days of occupancy.  As well as proof of renters insurance. 

    Allowing texting is setting yourself up for a problem down the road.  They are easy to manipulate and hard to keep accurate records of conversations.. email for everything.. you need everything in writing.

    (Just my 2 cents)

    Good luck!


  • Flipper/Rehabber · NJ · Member since 2018 · 40 posts · 44 votes
    7y

     @glennhermans thank you for that advice. I will definitely implement this in our new lease. She did send pictures and I did require proof of rental insurance, so I've got those covered. I like the addendum about the condition of the home!

  • Bentonville, AR · Member since 2016 · 20 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    @Jessica M. I had a tenant like this. A very spoiled college girl. I basically went down there one day and went through every request and showed her how ridiculous they were. I was clear that if it is not essential, I’m not going to do it. I also advised her rent was 20% below market and can move out yesterday if she wants.

    I didn’t have any issues after. Good luck with your tenant.

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 75 posts · 24 votes
    6y

    Chiming in late to some other really great advice... 
    I always ask the previous landlords how often they heard from the tenant with issues in general and in what sort of condition they left it.
    Also, when screening I tell tenants that I prefer those who treat the place like its owning their own home and either their face lights up or it doesn’t. During move-in walk-throughs with the list, I let them know as we mark off each item what I will fix and what I will not so there’s no surprises later. They are also free to add any thing we missed within the first week via photos.

  • Investor · Gardena, CA · Member since 2017 · 445 posts · 398 votes
    6y

    It appears that many landlords look at dealing with tenants like the game Tug Of War. Personally, I find the tenants who in the beginning are the most-meticulous and the most pain-in-the-butt turn out to be much better than the subservient, ignorant and desperate tenants. Tenants who ask for a lot and make a fuss about details are doing their due diligence like they should. As landlords, we make our profits by accommodating our tenants' needs and wishes. They are not intelligent real estate investors like us. They are tenants who are afraid of getting screwed at the end of their lease by the many unscrupulous landlords.

  • Member since 2018 · 22 posts · 5 votes
    6y

    Do you have a service call fee in your lease? If so, start charging. Also certain requests are not mandatory so perhaps let the tenant know upfront you can perform the task but will charge them for it. Hopefully these two options help.

  • Investor · Gardena, CA · Member since 2017 · 445 posts · 398 votes
    6y

    I move from Massachusetts to California in 1973, when I was 23-years old. When I was 13-years old, I started managing 135 apartment with my father and since my father had many issues (won't mention) by the time I was 15-years old I was managing the 135 apartments, doing maintenance, renting and collecting the rents with no help. So, I thought I knew a little about being a landlord when I arrived in California. But, boy...was I in for a rude awakening.

    I signed a 1-year lease to rent a crappy house in a white trailer trash neighborhood in Lawndale California. Like a fool, I signed a lease stating I was responsible for all repairs. The stove was upside down in the garage, missing parts and the landlord promised to give me another stove.

    It turned out I rented from the landlord from hell. The day I moved in the water heater did not work and the tank was leaking. So, I paid for and installed a new water heater. When the electric was turned on the garbage disposer motor was broke. So, I purchased and installed a new disposer. The kitchen faucet dripped and I purchased and installed a new faucet. I suppose I was lucky because when it rained the roof did not leak.

    After being in the house for a month, I kept calling the landlord about the kitchen stove. Finally she answered and told me to read the lease stating I was responsible for all repairs. She said the stove was in good condition when I move in and it was my responsibility to repair the stove. So, I gave her a 30-day notice to move and I moved out.

    The landlord sued me in court and when it was my turn to speak to the judge the judge did not let me say one word and he favored the landlord. So, I appealed the case. I got the same judge the second time and he said I was given the opportunity to speak during the first court appearance and I was not allowed to say one word. So, I lost and never recovered, mentally, ever since.

    Maybe, those incidences are the reasons tenants are anal about things that landlords think are insignificant.

  • Investor · Gardena, CA · Member since 2017 · 445 posts · 398 votes
    6y

    Sorry, but I am a plumbing contractor, landlord and I work with hundreds of landlords every year. My personal feelings are; most landlords have some sort of superiority or Napoleon complex and they have a Love Hate Relationship where they love owning property, but hate tenants with a passion on a personal level and they hate doing what a landlord is supposed to do. All this can be corrected by understanding most tenants are honest. 

    Most tenants rent because they don't want to own property and they don't want have to worry about maintenance. Landlords provide housing and should accommodate their tenants the same as a nice hotel does for their guests. Tenants should not have to worry about cheap landlords who will sue their tenants because they broke a 99 cent toilet paper holder and that is not a joke because when I go to court I see the landlords chiseling their tenants for toilet paper holders, broken light bulbs and many other items that cost less than one dollar.

    Accommodate your tenants, provide them with service and when you own a building more than 5 years old don't be so quick to blame your tenants for everything that breaks. Maybe, you rented a unit and the drain was 99% clogged before the tenant moved in. Garbage disposers deteriorate. You should not be so quick to point a finger and get angry every time your rental unit has a problem. 

  • Contractor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2019 · 339 posts · 325 votes
    6y

    @Jessica M. 🔫

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.