This is a new one- tenants stole the garage door.

This is a new one- tenants stole the garage door.

Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2009 · 89 posts · 44 votes

My cousins cut their teeth on and (until recently) specialized in D-class (ghetto) properties. I used to help them but eventually had ENOUGH- self-management of those properties was NOT for me!

So today I was talking with one of my cousins. He got a phone call from his foreman.

"Wait, WAIT. What's missing??!"

They've been D-class since the 70s, but this was a first. Not only did some deadbeats do a midnight moveout, but they actually stole the 2.5 car garage door. Yes, I'm talking about the overhead door- not some small side service door.

Anybody ever been through anything similar? We're all kind of amazed that they actually stole the garage door.

Mike

1Reply
62 views

Most Popular Reply

Joshua D.Pro Member
BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
14y

Half garage . . . perhaps this filled that space?

Nahhhh

See this reply in the discussion

17 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    14y

    That's a new one for me. If you can't trust the neighbors to tell you that your tenants are taking your garage door, well . . . .

  • Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2009 · 89 posts · 44 votes
    14y

    Not in that area.....

    Mike

    Originally posted by Joshua Dorkin:
    That's a new one for me. If you can't trust the neighbors to tell you that your tenants are taking your garage door, well . . . .
  • Investor · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 450 votes
    14y

    Wow! Scrap metal!

  • Residential Landlord · Chicago, IL · Member since 2012 · 356 posts · 81 votes
    14y

    Not sure to laugh or be surprised that its a 2.5 car garage....

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    14y

    Half garage . . . perhaps this filled that space?

    Nahhhh

  • Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2009 · 89 posts · 44 votes
    14y

    You've never dealt with a 1.5, 2.5, etc..? I thought that was everywhere- must be a WI thing..? Or maybe it has a different name elsewhere?

    Basically, it's a 2-car garage with half a car's worth of additional space for mowers, snow blowers, motorcycles/snowmobiles, and other stuff. A straight 2.0 car garage will fit 2 cars and anything else is a very tight squeeze- if it'll fit at all.

    Mike

  • Real Estate Investor · Eden Prairie, MN · Member since 2012 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    14y

    Mike,
    Yeah I think the .5 garages are a northern thing due to the snow blowers and shovels we have.
    I've heard of the typical stuff (copper piping and wiring, ductwork, etc)... I have never heard of stealing a garage door.
    *shaking head*
    There are a lot easier and more profitable ways to make money than taking one of those things out.

  • Investor · El Dorado Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    14y

    It is odd but there has to be a reason as I have seen several vacant class D homes with the garage door missing.

  • Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2009 · 89 posts · 44 votes
    14y
    Originally posted by Joe Bertolino:
    It is odd but there has to be a reason as I have seen several vacant class D homes with the garage door missing.

    I wonder if this is more than scrap- i.e. being resold as a used door?

    Mike

  • Investor and Architect · Ramsey, NJ · Member since 2010 · 305 posts · 84 votes
    14y

    Sorry your having to deal with this.

    That is one of the funniest headings I have seen on the forum.

  • Real Estate Attorney · Dallas, TX · Member since 2011 · 124 posts · 29 votes
    14y

    I have a 2.5 car garage in Texas -- but my door is sized for 2 car.

    I would guess these guys are taking the door out of spite and to get the scrap money.

  • Contractor · IL · Member since 2011 · 20 posts · 2 votes
    14y

    That's a surprise and a shame.

    200+ lbs. of scrap metal if they took the tracks as well.

    Have you considered putting beads up ; )

  • Homeowner · Burleson, TX · Member since 2008 · 756 posts · 376 votes
    14y

    Did you file theft charges with the local police?

  • Real Estate Consultant · Lansing, MI · Member since 2011 · 356 posts · 306 votes
    14y

    I would agree with Greg. If it's a fixture of the house, I'm guessing you could nail them for theft. I hope you do and I look forward to seeing their mugshot. This kind of stuff sickens me...

  • Investor · Middletown, NJ · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    14y

    I'm amazed a ghetto property would even *have* a garage!

  • Lender · Tyngsboro, MA · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    14y

    Well, the good news, if there is any, is that they apparently didn't yank the copper wiring out of the house for scrap. That's way more expensive to replace than the door.

    Pulling copper baseboards for hot water baseboard heating is common in the northeast. You can tell you are in a good neighborhood if the copper is still in the house when it's an REO.

    Pulling wiring is less common, but the higher the price of copper, the more common it gets.

    Pulling a garage door, that's a new one on me! I'm posting this to my network.

  • Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2009 · 203 posts · 50 votes
    14y

    Probably too late now, but if it's for scrap, you can go to the local scrap yards and ask, as I believe complete garage doors are not in the typical shopping cart that rolls in there.
    I've tried that once after some a.. stole a whole box of brass fittings. No success, but most scrappers were friendly or at least pretended to be helpful.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.