A washer/dryer for each unit a good idea?

A washer/dryer for each unit a good idea?

Oakland, CA · Member since 2016 · 29 posts · 5 votes

I recently purchased a duplex which is now completely vacant. There is a water heater and  washer/dryer hookup for each unit. I purchased a washer & dryer for the bottom unit, hoping to relocate it to a common area in the near future. The problem is now I just moved into the top unit and looking to rent out the bottom unit very soon. This will leave me without a washer/dryer. I am planning on having the future tenants pay for their water (each unit has its own address) and utilities anyway, so is it worth getting another washer/dryer set instead of building the extra storage to house it in a common area?

Just for some background, I was hoping to remove a water heater from the top unit and connect the pipes to have just one water heater hooked up for both units, but financially it will be a lot more expensive than to just buy another washer/dryer set.

So my question is: what would be the advantage to having one shared water heater for both units with one communal washer/dryer, compared to keeping the water heaters separate with one w/d for each unit?


Thanks!

0Reply
36 views

Most Popular Reply

Colleen F.Pro Member
Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
7y

Keep them separate.  Each unit has its own utilities, each unit pays for its own use. I would get the washer dryer for your current unit and leave it at that. I am not sure what advantage a common laundry would be. If you move out you likely have to cover the water and electric cost because it is common why would you want to do that? If you aren't staying long buy a used  washer dryer and put in the lease you won't replace them providing that is legal in CAlifornia. 

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Columbus and Jonesboro GA · Member since 2019 · 72 posts · 56 votes
    7y

    I suggest just buying another water heater for the unit below and take the washer drier with you . It is not worth the trouble of having to build a common laundry area for a duplex .

  • Oakland, CA · Member since 2016 · 29 posts · 5 votes
    7y

    Thanks!

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    Keep them separate.  Each unit has its own utilities, each unit pays for its own use. I would get the washer dryer for your current unit and leave it at that. I am not sure what advantage a common laundry would be. If you move out you likely have to cover the water and electric cost because it is common why would you want to do that? If you aren't staying long buy a used  washer dryer and put in the lease you won't replace them providing that is legal in CAlifornia. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Bath, ME · Member since 2014 · 220 posts · 288 votes
    7y

    We prefer to provide the W/D hookups, but not the appliances themselves, in what is primarily a B class portfolio.  The purchase and maintenance of the machines can be more trouble than their worth.  If it were me, I'd move the machines you already have into my unit and just leave hookups in the rental.    

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.