Naperville, IL · Member since 2016 · 6 posts · 0 votes
Hi Fellow Investors!
We need a lawn mower for our rental property and I was wondering if anyone has too many lawn mowers to sell for cheap or know of any used ones? It is a small lawn so definitely a push mower would be sufficient.
Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
7y
$169 new, predictable summer buy at Aldi. Good enough for me. Go to junkyards and small engine independent parts dealers. Some of them buy and fix.
Non-gas push mowers take regular grinding and blade balancing maintenance to keep the blades sharp. I tried once and gave up. I do not buy the electrics.
Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
7y
$169 new, predictable summer buy at Aldi. Good enough for me. Go to junkyards and small engine independent parts dealers. Some of them buy and fix.
Non-gas push mowers take regular grinding and blade balancing maintenance to keep the blades sharp. I tried once and gave up. I do not buy the electrics.
This is my first post but I feel that I have experience in this so I figured I would try to help haha.
I know in my area, Facebook Marketplace is a great spot to pick up used lawn or snow equipment. I've done it before and I prefer it over Craigslist because the listings are made by people who have a Facebook account. Much smaller chance of getting scammed like on Craigslist. Just another tip, when you go see the equipment, try to bring someone who's knowledgeable in this stuff. It you don't know someone, there are many Youtube videos out there on how to inspect used equipment before purchasing them. It will prevent you from buying junk and I'm sure you don't want something unreliable, especially if you're using them for your rental property.
Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
7y
I've tinkered and fixed enough lawnmowers for 10 lifetimes. My advice is this, buy the cheapest new one you can find and throw it out when it's done. $150 will get you at least 5 seasons, maybe up to 20 if you run it clean and are careful not to hit anything with it.
1 - Take five minutes and check the yard for sticks, rocks, stumps, roots and hidden metal stakes (garbage too)
2 - Clean the air filter every time you use it
3 - Mix the gas with Seafoam or some similar gas stabilizer/cleaner - also try to run the mower out of gas every time - never buy more than 1 gallon of gas at a time as it goes bad pretty quick (or even buy just a half gallon)
4 - Change the oil every year, the blade and spark plug as needed
Do all that and a mower will last a very long time and continue to start very easily, unless you bought a dud.
(I advise against a self-propelled, the small ones are easy enough to push and the self-propelled are just more money, more parts to break, and more stress on the engine - not worth it at all)
I've got a simple 21" Murray with a Briggs engine for $150 and have had it for 5 seasons and counting.
Then again, you might be able to find a kid to do it for $10 - $20 a pop - not a bad option really.
LOL - Last and not least, the fastest way to cut is in a circle, never back and forth.
Snowblowers? Exactly the same advice. I went through 2 $150 used snow blowers, throwing them both out, before I just spent $500 on a simple new one.
People usually don't get rid of stuff that still works.