include washer dryer and refrigerator in house rental?

include washer dryer and refrigerator in house rental?

Real Estate Investor · Member since 2008 · 56 posts · 0 votes

I am renting out my 4 bedroom house in San Diego, should I include the washer, dryer and refrigerator in a house rental.

The current tenants offered to leave their refrigerator, washer dryer in the house after they move out for $1000.

0Reply
118 views

Most Popular Reply

Residential Real Estate Broker · Grand Blanc, MI · Member since 2008 · 885 posts · 316 votes
16y

I refuse to provide a washer and dryer. However, I have quite an inventory of washers, dryers, stoves, friges, etc. So, if a tenant is moving in and needs a washer or dryer, I allow them to buy one from me out of my inventory. I sell them for $75 each and supply the hoses, vent lines, etc. and do the hook up. That way I know it's done right and don't have to worry about a flooded basement. It's an extra few bucks in my pocket for appliances I got for free (I get mostly all my appliances for free...being in the right place at the right time helps).

9 times out of 10 when the tenants move out, they leave behind the washer and dryer that THEY OWN. I just keep them hooked up and resell them to the next tenants. 9 times out of 10, they'll pay me $150 for them again. If they don't want them (which is extremely rare), I'll disconnect them and put 'em back in inventory.

It's the best of both worlds - reselling the same inventory, and reducing liability. I've never gotten a phone call for a broken washer or dryer because they're not owned by me!

On a flip house, I typically supply a washer and dryer. Most of my flips are marketed toward first time buyers. Most first-timers don't have a washer and dryer so it helps find a buyer that much quicker and makes the house feel complete.

See this reply in the discussion

26 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2010 · 449 posts · 173 votes
    15y

    We didn't provide a fridge or washer/dryer for our duplex when we were recently trying to get it leased. We thought about getting one, but after looking at what was being offered in the other 7 duplexes in the area on the market at the time, we found that only one of them came with a fridge. So we figured not having one was not causing us any competitive disadvantage. We also figured that since it didn't appear to be the norm for the market that there was a good chance that our new tenants would already have a fridge from their old place - if that was the case we would have to deal with the hassle of dragging ours off and finding somewhere to store it.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.