Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Robert Oramas
  • White Plains, NY
Votes |
Property management franchise

Robert Oramas
  • White Plains, NY
Posted May 25 2019, 16:58

Is purchasing a property management franchise a lucrative business? I am looking to transition from another career not associated to real estate. I will be getting my real estate license because it is required.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Tempel
  • Property Manager
  • Minneapolis, MN
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Minneapolis, MN
Replied May 26 2019, 14:35

Depends on the company and what you get with the franchise.  It can get very expensive, so make sure you have plenty of overhead to cover cost, especially if the association charges a higher per door fee.   

In my market you can usually buy or sell a door for around 1500.00 if that helps, this is very subjective, but a rough idea of the value you are getting if you actually buy an existing operating franchise.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied May 26 2019, 19:35

There are very few franchises in property management and I don't know of any that are really worth the cost. I looked into one several years ago just to help grow my existing company. They wanted $45,000. For that price, I could hire two assistants to free up my time to develop my business on my own. 

You're better off growing your company organically. If you're in a decent-sized market, it shouldn't take much to develop a successful business within a couple years. I know some people in Billings, MT that bought an existing company with 75 doors and they grew it to over 400 within four years and they did that one owner at a time with no big marketing scheme or anything.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Robert Oramas
  • White Plains, NY
Votes |
  • White Plains, NY
Replied Jun 8 2019, 20:24

Thanks Michael and Nathan.... I live in the Northeast and have spoken to a few of the major players in property management. They each have over 200 franchisees. In my opinion buying one of these franchisees would get you running out of the gate with all of the systems and processes in place saving you the time and pain in setting this up on your own. Thoughts?

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Jun 8 2019, 21:49

@Robert Oramas yes, it will get you started much easier. However, there's a cost associated with that. If you're motivated and honest, you could build your own company for much cheaper. It may start off slower but it will cost you much less in the long run. It all depends on you and your abilities.