How can I show depreciation for my properties? Tips?

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Ankeny, IA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
7y

@Charlie Moore

You need to consult with a CPA immediately. If you have not been declaring depreciation every year on your rental property you are literally flushing money down the toilet. And you will get smoked on taxes when you sell. Recapturing depreciation is mandatory by the IRS, whether or not you took the tax break in the first place.

Again, the IRS assumes you took the depreciation every year, so they make you recapture the amount when you sell. There is no stating “but I didn’t take depreciation”.

See this reply in the discussion

85 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) · Boston, MA · Member since 2018 · 40 posts · 14 votes
    7y

    @Immanuel Sibero I think you misunderstood my point. If you sell for $20K after 10 years, a zero gain on paper, since the OP didn't take a deduction for deprecation, he would be liable for depreciation recapture since the cost basis is now lower. We're saying the same thing. Have a good night. Thanks for the great discussion.

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Charlie Moore you need a real estate savvy CPA

  • Carrollton, TX · Member since 2015 · 415 posts · 371 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Maximilian Glodde:

    @Immanuel Sibero I think you misunderstood my point. If you sell for $20K after 10 years, a zero gain on paper, since the OP didn't take a deduction for deprecation, he would be liable for depreciation recapture since the cost basis is now lower. We're saying the same thing. Have a good night. Thanks for the great discussion.

    My bad... I was looking from the IRS perspective. I missed the zero "paper" gain you pointed out. When selling for 20k, the OP does in fact have a gain, as defined by the IRS, which would trigger the recapture rule. A zero gain or loss (by IRS definition, to be clear) would not trigger it.

    Yes.. have a good night.

  • Investor · Flower Mound, TX · Member since 2016 · 17 posts · 17 votes
    7y

    @Immanuel Sibero

    I think you may be confusing the depreciation expense vs gain on sale.

    The depreciation expense is taken yearly against your income. The amount depreciated is recaptured when the property is sold (FYI just 1031 exchange it till you die. Your kids get to start depreciation over again at new home value and never have to pay your depreciation from before and can’t 1031 forever, and so on).

    If you sell your rental at a loss then you can apply a portion against what you owe, but like everything there are nuances. So without knowing all the details it’s hard to give you a complete answer.

  • Carrollton, TX · Member since 2015 · 415 posts · 371 votes
    7y

    @Bill White

    Thanks for responding. What I was observing people are saying in this post (maybe I'm misinterpreting) is that "depreciation recapture" is some additional income that is taxable when you sell. My understanding is this depreciation recapture is just an amount used to determine how much of your gain on sale will be recharaterize from capital gain to ordinary income. So the recapture amount is not some additional taxable income on top of your gain on sale.

    This also explains why the recapture rule does not apply when you have zero gain or loss on sale. Correct?

    Yes, 1031 exchange is nice but quite restrictive.
     

    Thanks again.

    Cheers... Immanuel

  • Investor · Flower Mound, TX · Member since 2016 · 17 posts · 17 votes
    7y

    @Immanuel Sibero

    I would suggest that you forget the terminology on whether or not it’s income. Search adjusted cost basis. If you’ve had a rental for a decent period of time it’s unlikely you will have a loss (tax purposes). Here is an example of what I think you are getting at:

    Sale price: $200k

    Adjusted cost basis: Purchase price $220k + renovations $10k - depreciation $40k = $190k

    $200k-$190= $10k gain so $2.5k tax (est. 25% tax rate)

  • Carrollton, TX · Member since 2015 · 415 posts · 371 votes
    7y

    @Bill White

    "I would suggest that you forget the terminology on whether or not it’s income."

    Couldn't agree more. That's what's confusing about this thread. Everyone is calling "recapture" taxable income.

    I'm going to use your example with slight change to illustrate what I'm trying to say, let's say Sale price is $300k (this is quite realistic in the DFW market) so:

    Sale price: $300k

    Adjusted cost basis: Purchase price $220k + renovations $10k - depreciation $40k = $190k

    Gain (assuming long term) is $300k - $190k = $110k

    Under the recapture rule, here is what happens to the $110k Gain: $40k will be taxed at Ordinary Income (whatever bracket I'm in)  and the rest which is $70k will be taxed at Cap Gain Rate (i.e maxes out at 20% in 2018).

    Cheers... Immanuel

    PS. I'm interested in this because I'm considering selling one of my rental house... I have never sold one before.

  • Investor · Flower Mound, TX · Member since 2016 · 17 posts · 17 votes
    7y

    @Immanuel Sibero

    You’re on the correct path.

    Depreciation recapture is considered “income” but don’t let that confuse you on what’s going on the important calculations.

  • Carrollton, TX · Member since 2015 · 415 posts · 371 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Bill White:

    @Immanuel Sibero

    You’re on the correct path.

    Depreciation recapture is considered “income” but don’t let that confuse you on what’s going on the important calculations.

     Thanks. It really doesn't sound as bad as what some of the posts suggest.

    Cheers... Immanuel

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.