What are some good holiday gifts for tenants?

What are some good holiday gifts for tenants?

Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2008 · 217 posts · 12 votes

Assuming they aren't behind on their rent ;)

I'm wondering what gifts I could give them that also help keep the property maintained... vacuum, fire extinguisher, plunger, haha.

Or maybe a gift card or gift basket, something to show that I appreciate them. I've found that there is less drama and arguments when you have a friendly relationship with your tenants, and a $50 gift is worth avoiding a lawsuit down the road.

0Reply
56 views

Most Popular Reply

MI · Member since 2011 · 228 posts · 75 votes
14y

How about a stack of decorative envelopes to put rent checks in.

Vacuum cleaners are good.

Maybe a good quality pen with the rent due date printed on it in fancy lettering.

If your rentals are in a war zone, perhaps a bottle of ripple would be a suitable yuletide gift.

The possibilities are endless. :-)

See this reply in the discussion

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · San Dimas, CA · Member since 2011 · 350 posts · 122 votes
    14y

    Hey Dan!

    I think $50 is a bit high for my taste, but I do think there is something to be said for general good will.

    Last year, I bought each family a bag of coffee with two mugs - $10.
    My wife wrapped the gifts up in clear wrapping and tied a nice bow. We only have 6 properties so it is still pretty manageable.

    I am not saying that is the reason they've paid each month, but it sure doesn't hurt. :mrgreen:

  • Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2008 · 217 posts · 12 votes
    14y

    Normally Id think $50 is high too, but I came into some money and would like to share it with the people that help me make my living. I know times are tough for them, they are lower income folks, and I'd like to do something that helps that out.

  • Specialist · San Dimas, CA · Member since 2011 · 350 posts · 122 votes
    14y

    Dan,

    That is great to hear.

    I know another investor who gives each tenant one upgrade per year - a new stove, plants a tree, patio covering, etc.

    Just a thought!

  • MI · Member since 2011 · 228 posts · 75 votes
    14y

    How about a stack of decorative envelopes to put rent checks in.

    Vacuum cleaners are good.

    Maybe a good quality pen with the rent due date printed on it in fancy lettering.

    If your rentals are in a war zone, perhaps a bottle of ripple would be a suitable yuletide gift.

    The possibilities are endless. :-)

  • Residential Landlord · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2010 · 592 posts · 138 votes
    14y

    I am considering getting $10 or $25 gift cards to Target or Walmart for my tenants. Also, I discovered today that there is a $25 limit on gifts to tenants for tax deduction purposes based on the Every Landlord's Tax Deduction Guide book.

  • Rental Property Investor · Buffalo, MN · Member since 2010 · 511 posts · 92 votes
    14y

    How about a simple holiday or christmas card.

  • Homeowner · Greenwich, CT · Member since 2011 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    14y

    My tenants get bottles of wine. It is something easy that they can either use or re-gift, and it's not too expensive to get a decent bottle these days.
    My theory with gifts is the less personal the better...

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2009 · 77 posts · 6 votes
    14y

    I have done $25 off of Januarys rent therefore inorder to get the gift they have to pay the rest of the rent. Just a thought.

  • Real Estate Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 268 votes
    14y

    Good tenants are hard to find these days.
    Cherish them. $50 gift card to their favorite restaurant will go the long way.

  • Virtual Assistant · CA · Member since 2011 · 10 posts · 2 votes
    14y

    Gasoline!

  • Investor · Newport Beach, CA · Member since 2010 · 86 posts · 24 votes
    14y
    Originally posted by Phillip Gainey:
    How about a stack of decorative envelopes to put rent checks in.

    Vacuum cleaners are good.

    Maybe a good quality pen with the rent due date printed on it in fancy lettering.

    If your rentals are in a war zone, perhaps a bottle of ripple would be a suitable yuletide gift.

    The possibilities are endless. :-)

    Hahaha

  • Investor/Landlord · Farmington Hills, MI · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    14y

    I know you were joking in your opening but you actually have to be careful about giving gifts like fire extinguishers. I used to give these to new tenants upon lease signing until a lawyer told me that I could be sued if a tenant used the extinguisher I provided and they were injured if it didn't operate correctly. What a country.

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    14y

    I currently rent, I wouldn't want anything. I'm going to feel obligated to reciprocate and I don't want to.

    A call with a friendly merry christmas would be more appropriate for someone like me.

    My landlord is the polar opposite of most BP landlords. I haven't seen him in I think a year and a half.

  • Accountant, Enrolled Agent · Grayslake, IL · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    14y

    And yes that is correct there is a limit on $25 for it to be deductible.

    Just because it is deductible doesn't mean it is ideal to spend it. I recommend going with the upgrade of their choice(pick out of three options) method. Gives them some input which may help keep them there. Not to mention you can write off the full thing.

    P.S. I agree with the envelopes.

  • Specialist · San Dimas, CA · Member since 2011 · 350 posts · 122 votes
    14y

    You can't go wrong with Coffee and two mugs.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.