refinance cash out and rate term

refinance cash out and rate term

Member since 2019 · 10 posts · 0 votes

My husband has a duplex that he bought years before we were married and I am trying to figure out our best options for this rental. He bought it in 2007 for 220,000 and his mortgage is 1,600 a month. He rents one side for 800 and the other for 1,000. He also pays the water bill which is about 115 a month, and he cuts the grass. I am uncomfortable with this because we seem to be breaking even or going in the hole with this property. If anything breaks the funds are coming from our savings, not a set aside savings from an investment. I have had someone look into refinancing it but they want to separate the duplex because people in our area have been selling them separately and they have no comps to figure out the value. I have been told that they will likely appraise for 150,000 a piece separated. I am interested in getting another rental property that is a better investment in addition to the duplex but I have to figure out the refinance first because I would like to borrow some of the equity from it to get started. Currently he is at 6.5% and the payment is 1,600. I am looking at the idea of doing a cash out refinance for one side of the duplex and the break down is for 30 years (resets our total mortgage time) 5.250% interest with a loan amount of $116,250 and with all costs included the mortgage for that side would be $766 and we would get 24,000 cash. The other side would be a rate term  refi with 4.99% interest rate and 30 years as well, loan amount of 91,600 and all costs included the mortgage would be $616, this means a total of 207,850 and his original loan amount 12 years ago was 220,000. I am just overwhelmed with the numbers and trying to make sense of what is the best option. We could also cash out on both or just rate term refi both side. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

0Reply
9 views

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2016 · 199 posts · 190 votes
    7y

    The easiest answer is to just sell this non-cash flowing duplex and put the proceeds into a real estate investment that is cash flowing.

  • Member since 2019 · 10 posts · 0 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Anthony Hurlburt:

    The easiest answer is to just sell this non-cash flowing duplex and put the proceeds into a real estate investment that is cash flowing.

     Thank you for the advice, I appreciate it!

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2017 · 439 posts · 578 votes
    7y

    @Lacey Mitchell

    Can you raise rents? Or force some appreciation? You’re 12 years deep on a 30 year mortgage.... nearing the half way point to owning this thing free and clear. Consider charging back tenants for water? Raise rent even by 50 per side and you’ll be in the positive and able to set aside some money for expenses. Refi so it cashflows? Explore all your options and really consider the alternatives....

  • Member since 2019 · 10 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @Tanner Marsey we could raise the rent to 1000 on the other side, and have the tenants pay the water, we would probably just raise it 100 at a time over the course of a year or so. The same tenant has been there for years on the one side and my husband felt bad raising it since they pay on time and are good tenants. If we refinance with it as a duplex it’s $1440 for 20 years, so adding a couple years to the mortgage then if we set aside $200 a month we’re looking at $360 a month cash flow which is a lot better but it keeps us from borrowing the equity if we want to stay in cash flow. There’s another house on the market that’s a foreclosure, if w sold the duplex we could buy it and rehab it and have no mortgage and charge 1,000 for rent, but I do have mixed feelings since we’re 12 years in

  • Member since 2019 · 10 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    So many options. I appreciate your feedback, let me know what you think

  • Member since 2019 · 10 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    So many options. I appreciate your feedback, let me know what you think

  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    7y

    You need to do some serious homework on finances and real estate investing. The duplex is a terrible investment and your plan to buy another all cash and rent for $1000 is even worse. You need to sit down and do some math to determine your ROI before you jump into another bad investment.

    The duplex with a mortgage of $1600 and rents at $1800 means it is deep into negative cash flow. Your equity is also at risk if markets drop.

    Sell the one you have it is losing money every month. In addition if you want to reinvest I suggest you hire a PM to manage it as your husband does not have the skill set to manage. Not raising rents because they are good tenants is a very poor approach to business. Not having reserve funds is incomprehensible.

    If your monthly rent is not equal to or greater than 1% of the value of your property it is a bad income investment property. The only exception would be in a in a very high appreciating market like CA.    

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2017 · 439 posts · 578 votes
    7y

    First, and this is just my opinion, if you don’t run this like a business your investments will never pan out. You’re throwing money away and even taking money out of your own pockets because you’re rewarding a tenant for doing exactly what they’re supposed to. Secondly.... assess your goals with your husband and go from there. 1000 a month sounds great. You can make any deal sound great if you put down enough money. Essentially you have a cash flowing property that is half way to being laid off by your tenants. If you want to expand I’d find another source of money in order to do so. Just my two cents. I’m sure a ton of people will disagree. Good luck. And let us know what you decide! 

  • Member since 2019 · 10 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @Thomas S. I agree that this duplex is a money pit, I would be willing to sell it and keep the money made from it until I learn more about investing. I am just trying to figure it out because it needs to be dealt with. I appreciate your advice, I'll do some homework,

    thank you

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.