Appliances for a rental

Appliances for a rental

Real Estate Investor · plattsmouth, NE · Member since 2008 · 94 posts · 11 votes

I just REFI my house and want to rehab my Kitchen/Bathroom. The long term goal is to turn into a rental down the road. So I'm just rehabbing it into a high end rental and I'll be staying here next two years until I get my degree. Anyways to the question, appreciate anyone could help.

As for stoves should I get a coil or glass top but with steam clean? I read it's better to just get the coil but the flat tops will be more marketable. I read self cleans are a fire hazard and break down more easily? I want to take advantage of the President day sales. 

As for the bathroom, I'm debating on getting a Jacuzzi Tub for personal use for couple of years but could add value of charging for rent. I could always uninstall the motor and make it a regular tub. 

https://www.menards.com/main/bath/bathtubs-showers...

Instead of tile get this Utile for low maintenance so it can look nicer than the boring inserts.

https://www.menards.com/main/bath/showers-shower-d...

0Reply
23 views

Most Popular Reply

Attorney · Columbus, OH · Member since 2018 · 55 posts · 47 votes
7y

A coil stove is certainly easier to clean and has lower maintenance costs since you can just change out the pans and coils as needed... but it looks out of place in a high end rental.  Prior to owning my home I lived in a number of apartments at different price points and not one of the high end ones had a coil stove.  

I'd steer clear of a jacuzzi tub.  They have a tendency to get really nasty if not used regularly and would be more trouble than its worth in a rental I would think.

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Attorney · Columbus, OH · Member since 2018 · 55 posts · 47 votes
    7y

    A coil stove is certainly easier to clean and has lower maintenance costs since you can just change out the pans and coils as needed... but it looks out of place in a high end rental.  Prior to owning my home I lived in a number of apartments at different price points and not one of the high end ones had a coil stove.  

    I'd steer clear of a jacuzzi tub.  They have a tendency to get really nasty if not used regularly and would be more trouble than its worth in a rental I would think.

  • Jonathan Taylor SmithBusiness Member
    Rental Property Investor · Durham / Raleigh (Triangle), NC · Member since 2015 · 840 posts · 801 votes
    7y

    I put stainless steel appliances in most of my rentals, and always go with the glass top. But to make sure the tenants care for them properly, I provide a care guide with links to related Youtube videos and I product an initial bottle or kit of whatever is the proper care products - such as for hardwood floors, stainless steel appliances, glass top stoves, etc...

    Blue Chariot Realty & Management4.915 Reviews
  • Investor · Vancouver, WA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    Range

    Stove Top - GAS (if possible) but if not, then COIL (Less easily damaged and less costly to repair than Glass and I personally prefer it)

    Oven - NOT SELF CLEANING  (We experienced twice when the self cleaning feature was used and cause severe mechanical failure, requiring replacement of the entire range. If it has this feature, disable it.)

    Jetted Tub

    Sure go for it. But put in the rental agreement that it's provided "as is" and repair needs for the jetted feature would be the responsibility of the tenant. But if you're going for the high end market at high end rental rates, include this as an amenity and pay for the maintenance and repair. Either way be sure to instruct the tenant on proper use of the equipment.

    Tub Surrounds

    In a high end place, I would chose ceramic tiles professionally installed. I'd use the new kind of grout that doesn't require much maintenance. We have one place with a tub surround similar to what you show here and it's fine too, but starting to show wear. I suppose the newer Utile product is of better quality that what was available 20 years ago, so it may be a good choice. How does it compare to the look and feel of real tile?

  • Investor · SE, MI · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 461 votes
    7y

    Stove- you mentioned high end, I would expect to see a glass top on an electric stove in my market.  Just make sure you include in the lease the kind of cleaners that can be used.

    Jacuzzi tub- nope, not in a rental.  We have 2 in our personal home, one the previous owners installed and it worked for about 2 years after we bought the place (no more than 4 years old).  The second one we put in 11 years ago, and the pipes for the jets leak.  Not to mention, if you don't use it for a while, you get mildew in the tubes which gets shot all over the place when you DO use it.  Ask me how I know....

    If you are able to do the tile installation yourself, you can do it for a lot less than that tub surround will cost you, and you can customize it as well.  Just my 2c.

  • Investor · Member since 2017 · 83 posts · 46 votes
    7y

    If you want top dollar you definitely need glass top stove.  In my experience, separate stove top and in-wall oven or double oven are extremely desirable in higher end rentals.

    I would not put a jacuzzi tub in a LTR, but would be fine in STR since it will be cleaned regularly.

    I don't have any experience with a similar insert, so no opinion there.  I do know that tile is MUCH easier to clean between tenants than the standard inserts.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.