Income Reality

Income Reality

Accountant · Member since 2008 · 119 posts · 52 votes

For some this may be a "hush-hush" topic, but for others it may not.

I'm looking to hear everyone who has been landlording for a few years to respond to this to help the community get a better guage on the REALITY of income and growth potential with landlording. It seems everyone "knows someone" or heard a guru spew figures out but I want to see it from the source.

Questions:
1. How long have you been a buy and hold investor

2. Do you primarily finance or buy cash? If finance, what % of the purchase price do you shoot for.

3. What is your monthly (or annual) income net after expenses and taxes? I'm not talking appreciation, etc. I'm talking every month, after you pay all expenses related to your investing business, how large of a check could you write.

4. How many properties do you have? Are they primarily residential, commercial, or a combo?

If you're uncomfortable answering that, that is fine. I may not get any answers but thats ok! You can ballpark the income if you want (4 figs, 5 figs, 6 figs, 7 figs, etc) to be more discreet.

Thanks!

0Reply
15 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rehabber · Tucson, AZ · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 802 votes
    15y

    In my opinion, these are too personal to answer in a public forum. You can probably get the information you seek by being less succinct. For instance, How many investors make a comfortable living strictly from their real estate rental activities?

    Perhaps another way would be to see if Mr. Dorkin would be open to conducting a poll on this site. With this, you might get a better response since the respondents identity would not be published.

    I would never disclose such information you seek in a public forum as you already have surmised.

    Good Luck!

  • Accountant · Member since 2008 · 119 posts · 52 votes
    15y

    Good suggestions Scott. That's what I feared would happen. Maybe a poll of some sort would be best suited for this.

  • Real Estate Investor · Hudson, NH · Member since 2011 · 76 posts · 25 votes
    15y

    I own residential apts and in 2010 made just shy of $100 a door, per month. This is after vacancy factor, maintenance reserves, PITI, etc. I leverage as much as possible. I do currently manage my own properties

  • Accountant · Member since 2008 · 119 posts · 52 votes
    15y

    Thanks for the reply Brian!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.