What Pet Rents/ Deposits are you charging now?

What Pet Rents/ Deposits are you charging now?

Rental Property Investor · Plantation, FL · Member since 2018 · 33 posts · 7 votes

Hello everyone!  I searched on Pet Fees and found some info. from about 3 years ago... all good stuff, but I thought it was time for an update.  I like the idea of increasing the normal security deposit, instead of charging a pet deposit or fee because a pet deposit could cause you to have to argue whether the pet or the children ruined the carpet.  A non-refundable pet fee removes the incentive to keep the place clean. Sure, you get the money up-front, but once the tenant knows they are not getting that money back then all bets are off.   So, I believe  a reasonable solution may be to raise the regular security deposit by $200-300 (local laws providing). 

Now, what about rent for the pet?  People love their pets - and I love my pets also, and I believe $15-$45 per pet, based on size, is fair.  Under 20lbs = $15; 21-45lbs = $30; > 45lbs = $45...  what are your thoughts?  And, what is marketable in your area of the country?  I live and own property in the far NW suburbs of Chicago.  Thank you all in advance!!  I cannot wait to hear your insights and ideas :-)

2Reply
14 views

Most Popular Reply

Contractor · Pensacola, FL · Member since 2018 · 303 posts · 240 votes
7y

People with pets generally speaking are much more stable

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y
    @Robert Raffalo I charge a $250 fee on top of the normal security deposit. I know that even when a clean tenant moves out, it will cost me more to get the property cleaned. I also charge $75 per month, with a max of 2 pets
  • Contractor · Pensacola, FL · Member since 2018 · 303 posts · 240 votes
    7y

    I charge $25 per animal per month

  • Kenneth GarrettPro Member
    Investor · Florida Panhandle/Illinois · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    @Robert Raffalo

    I charge a $250 pet fee plus $35 per pet.  I have a tenant who has two dogs that is additional $70 per month.  Since so many tenants have pets not allowing pets will greatly reduce your options.  I think the trade off is worth it.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Plantation, FL · Member since 2018 · 33 posts · 7 votes
    7y

    @Jason D., @Robert Biggerstaff, @Kenneth Garrett - thank you guys...  I appreciate your insights. Anyone else have experience with this?  Please keep the responses coming...  as I’m sure there are hundreds of scenario. Thanks again all !

  • Contractor · Pensacola, FL · Member since 2018 · 303 posts · 240 votes
    7y

    People with pets generally speaking are much more stable

  • Rental Property Investor · Portland OR · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    I charge a 500 refundable pet deposit. And no pet rent. 

  • Asheville, NC · Member since 2017 · 385 posts · 274 votes
    7y

    I charge $25 per month per pet. They have to be under 20 lbs.  and I don't allow cats. Which really limits the applicants. I think what we are all going to have to accept is that almost any dog or cat can be an ESA, which you are not allowed to charge for anyway, and I think it's very easy to make your pet an ESA. All it requires is a certificate that you can get online and landlords are not allowed to ask what the ESA is for. 

  • Specialist · Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2018 · 557 posts · 191 votes
    7y

    $300 deposit or fee and $25/mo!

  • Missy H.Pro Member
    Investor · Bloomfield, NJ · Member since 2015 · 207 posts · 121 votes
    7y

    $25 per month.  Most places in my area don't allow pets, so I think that usually leads folks to stay in one place longer

  • Homeowner · Dallas, TX · Member since 2014 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    4y

    I have a tenant that has not moved in yet but has a dog and is thinking of getting another one. Should I up the pet deposit? I already charged her a $250 non-refundable deposit for the one dog.   

  • Attorney · Durham, NH · Member since 2019 · 292 posts · 126 votes
    4y

    One factor, 

    other than wear&tear / other residents / lower-income (humane) prioritizing of pets over prompt rent,

    that's not to be overlooked:

    more expensive homeowners insurance

  • Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2016 · 96 posts · 69 votes
    4y

    Hi @Robert Raffalo this is what my company does!

    $175 refundable pet deposit + $175 non refundable pet fee + $15/month in rent for the 1st pet. Every pet after the 1st would be a $50 refundable deposit + $50 non refundable pet fee + $5/month in pet rent. This way it scales with each pet they have, and the Owner gets some money up front. I haven't had any trouble getting this in my market. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.