Renting a garage space in Chicago - Reg Lease or Storage Lease?

Renting a garage space in Chicago - Reg Lease or Storage Lease?

Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 29 posts · 9 votes

I'm renting out a garage space behind my duplex rental property in Chicago, and I want to be sure I'm approaching this correctly. 

Currently, the other space is occupied by a tenant and it is wrapped into the lease. 

This spot, however, will be rented by a nearby neighbor whose apartment doesn't include parking. 

I want to protect myself from any damages if they accidentally bump the garage door, or the other tenant's vehicle, but I also am not sure if it's accurate to use my regular tenant's lease, or if it's appropriate to ask for a security deposit.

The spot is going for $200, and with my leases I normally ask for a security deposit equal to 1 months rent.

I've heard of a storage space lease, but I don't want this to be used as storage as I cannot provide additional security beyond a door lock, working lights, and closed garage door that the tenants are responsible for closing. 

Thankful for advice. 

0Reply
37 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · 3412 S. Harlem Avenue Riverside, IL 60546 · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    7y

    @Robin W. I would recommend you check with Verella Osborne, who specializes in leases in Chicago. She gave a presentation at a land lord meeting I attend in the suburbs, and she had some interesting, nuanced advice that was Chicago specific about how to lease storage, parking spots, etc. PM me and I will send over her info. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.