How do you figure ROI on a rental property 100% financed?

How do you figure ROI on a rental property 100% financed?

Columbia, MD · Member since 2017 · 10 posts · 3 votes

So a lot of people seem to tell me that I should know my ROI. But I'm unsure how to calculate that. I mean I understand that if I invest $1000 and make $100 over the course of the year then I got a 10% return. But I bought a rental property using my HELOC, I paid for everything using the HELOC. So the total cost of everything was $44k. All the money I get from the property goes straight back into the HELOC as I don't need the cash flow now, the idea is once it's paid off I'll have a little retirement cash flow. So it's been almost a year since renting it out and I've paid about $2k of the loan off. The taxes are paid for almost a year in advance. So I'm happy with the way the property is going but how do I figure out an ROI on it? Thanks.

0Reply
23 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y
    @Mike Tremblay your ROI right now is 0%, because you are not making any income on your investment.
  • Rental Property Investor · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y
    @Mike Tremblay or I guess that you could say that its infinite return, since your "cash" investment is Zero
  • Columbia, MD · Member since 2017 · 10 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    Hahaha, ok, so I can basically ignore the whole ROI thing. I was just wondering if there was some complicated mathematical formula I should be using to figure out my ROI.

  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Mike Tremblay:

    Hahaha, ok, so I can basically ignore the whole ROI thing. I was just wondering if there was some complicated mathematical formula I should be using to figure out my ROI.

    Yes, ignore the ROI.

    Yes there is a formula that you use:

    All income (cash flow) at year's end - all expenses at 1st year's end = Cash on Cash Return
            cash you used (cost & fees fro HELOC for 1st year) at start

  • Rockaway, NJ · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    I would calculate the return based off the $44k you used from your HELOC.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.