Is a room in house a good investment?

Is a room in house a good investment?

Residential Real Estate Broker · Scotch Plains, NJ · Member since 2008 · 26 posts · 1 vote

I have the opportunity to buy 3 room in houses (33 total units) that are in a good town and in great shape. The properties are totally renovated and have about a 12 cap. I am a seasoned investor but I have 0 experience with room in houses. I am worried about constant turnover or high vacancy rates. If anyone can add some insight, I would deeply appreciate it! Thank you

1Reply
10 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2017 · 118 posts · 108 votes
    7y

    I’m sorry, @Luis Leiva, please forgive me, but I don’t understand what you mean ‘room in houses’.  Could you explain a little more about the situation?

  • Will GastonPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Columbia, SC · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    @Luis Leiva the very first thing I would do is check with Zoning and verify that it is legal to operate. Do not move forward without asking the City first.

    I have friends that own them and they are a high profit and high management business. You'll likely have to deal with drama amongst tenants, monitoring the utility bills, lots of turnover, and the occasional police phone call. Is managing people one of your strengths? Because you'll likely be doing a lot of that.

    Check out this thread as it may be helpful: Boarding Houses

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Scotch Plains, NJ · Member since 2008 · 26 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    Im not sure what they are called in Cali, but they are boarder homes, almost like a hostile but longer term occupants. every tenant gets a furnished room and they share common kitchens & baths.

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Scotch Plains, NJ · Member since 2008 · 26 posts · 1 vote
    7y
    Originally posted by @Will Gaston:

    @Luis Leiva the very first thing I would do is check with Zoning and verify that it is legal to operate. Do not move forward without asking the City first.

    I have friends that own them and they are a high profit and high management business. You'll likely have to deal with drama amongst tenants, monitoring the utility bills, lots of turnover, and the occasional police phone call. Is managing people one of your strengths? Because you'll likely be doing a lot of that.

    Check out this thread as it may be helpful: Boarding Houses

     Will, I have staff that manages our real estate investments so management is cool but the turnover and vacancy is what scares me because this would be a monster mortgage payment. Thank you for the tread, I will read up!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.