Real Estate Investor · Member since 2017 · 4 posts · 0 votes
I have a 2 bed 1 bath rental in Sun City California, Senior Community. We need to refurbish the tub and the renter is sensitive to smells also this is a 2 day drying and chemical smelling job. Renter would not be able to shower or bath for 2 days while the chemicals are drying. Do I need to provide overnight accommodations or an overnight allowance for our renters and if so how much? Food allowance?
Investor · Champaign, IL · Member since 2018 · 160 posts · 114 votes
8y
@Barbara Cloyd - When does their lease end and do you anticipate they will be staying?
If they are going to be staying... I would consult an attorney. What if the smell lingers for days? Can they back out of the lease and win?
At the very least, I would provide accommodations. Pay for a hotel room and provide a meal allowance that is appropriate for the area. Let's be real... they are doing you a favor to leave while you do renovations. If there was a second bathroom, then it would be a different situation.