$1,000 repair! Tenants admit to messing with A/C electronic board

$1,000 repair! Tenants admit to messing with A/C electronic board

Real Estate Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 388 posts · 174 votes

My A/C guy tells me that the electronic board needs to be replaced at a cost of $1,000. That it appears that some wires have been pulled out, disconnected,  severed . The board is located in the attic and about this time last year the tenant admitted to messing with the board when the A/C seemed to malfunction.  I told them not to touch that thing again. It is not covered under warranty.

What would you guys do in this is case?

Thanks

0Reply
16 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
8y

fix it and bill the tenant

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    fix it and bill the tenant

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    8y

    Wait so it's been working for a year since when tenant messed with it?

    If so I wouldn't try to charge them as it has been working this whole time.

    Also sounds like you need a new AC guy. There is no way my AC would charge that much to put in new control board. A new air handler isn't much more than that.

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    8y
    @Luke H. Get a second opinion
  • Property Manager · Alpharetta, GA · Member since 2018 · 163 posts · 117 votes
    8y

    Something's wrong with this story. Get another HVAC guy.

  • Real Estate Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 388 posts · 174 votes
    8y

    I do plan to ask them if they messed with it again. 

    @Dennis M. I plan to get a second opinion. I've used this a/c guy for about 3 years with no issues.

    @John Underwood Yes, tenants haven't mentioned any issues until yesterday.  This price includes parts and labor.

    @Account Closed, what seems to be wrong with the story? Last year the tenants messed with the board because there was issues with the 1st floor getting air. I replaced the batteries at the controller near the bedroom and it worked. (this was last year)

    Thanks to all that have responded.

  • Rental Property Investor · Yardley, PA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 561 votes
    8y

    Any sign of squirrels?

  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    8y
    @Luke H. Must be a big AC unit. I’m pretty sure I can get a new AC unit for 1500 bucks
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.