Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Mat Lewczenko
  • Investor
  • Lenexa, KS
Votes |
Property Managers - Why do they always Overpromise and Underdeliver?

Mat Lewczenko
  • Investor
  • Lenexa, KS
Posted Jan 26 2011, 03:49

I hear this ALOT...
"I had a great PM company, paid them $X but they are gone, had to fire them. They were great in the beginning and then..."

What makes them great at the beginning?
What are the biggest let downs?

I ask because my partner and I are putting together a business plan to start managing other investor's properties as well.

What do you all think is the best Value Proposition that we could offer that the current management pool is lacking in.

Very interested to hear everyone's perspective.

User Stats

Votes
Jeremy Colonna
  • Residential Real Estate Broker
  • Long Beach, CA
Votes |
  • Long Beach, CA
Replied Jan 29 2011, 00:47
Originally posted by Bryan Hancock:
The property management business is very tough. You have to deal with all of the crap that investors don't want to deal with, owners angry about stuff breaking, tenants paying late, evictions, placing tenants, etc. That is a lot of crap to put up with for 7-10% of gross rents.

Having said that...I have had almost universally poor experiences with property managers. They just don't care for your property like you would and they are really more concerned about THEIR business instead of yours.

I have had the same experiences. Having said that, I would rather gouge out my own eyes than take that soul crushing job. Tenants lie more easily than they tell the truth. My family has a hundred or so doors, and around the 6th of the month, we have dying parents, sick children and lost jobs like clockwork. How many people can have more than three or four parents?

The only advice I would have about property managers is to get them young, before the nature of the job has had time to rob them of their integrity! :lol:

User Stats

Votes
Mat Lewczenko
  • Investor
  • Lenexa, KS
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Lenexa, KS
Replied Jan 29 2011, 02:00
Originally posted by Jeremy Colonna:

I have had the same experiences. Having said that, I would rather gouge out my own eyes than take that soul crushing job. Tenants lie more easily than they tell the truth. My family has a hundred or so doors, and around the 6th of the month, we have dying parents, sick children and lost jobs like clockwork. How many people can have more than three or four parents.

Jeremy, that's hilarious, thanks for the levity. :D

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Justin Herrema
  • Real Estate Investor
  • grand rapids, MI
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • grand rapids, MI
Replied Jan 29 2011, 14:19

@ Bryan, Yeah and it was probably a relative to property management co....I found out the last guy I was using had all kinds of side deals (kick backs) going with contractors he used.

User Stats

Votes
Jeremy Colonna
  • Long Beach, CA
Votes |
  • Long Beach, CA
Replied Jan 31 2011, 00:59

Mat,

It was funny, but my PM is having his 32nd birthday on Thursday! Kernel of truth....