Mentally unstable tenant

Mentally unstable tenant

Rental Property Investor · RI · Member since 2017 · 23 posts · 1 vote
Hello, I have a problem with my current tenant (again!! I guess I need to work on my screening skills). They turned out to be, simply call it, crazy! I rented it to couple and the aunt. 3 adults. Aunt just decided to move out breaking the whole deal. Just after 2 months! And the reason was I told her few times she cannot smoke inside. They knew about no smoking, we talked about it, it's in the lease. So she is gone, those two left. And they still smoke inside! I texted him about it and he calls it harassment, he is not smoking, it's religious candle. And so on... I also suspect there are 2 more people that are not on lease, living there.When I ask about it, he said I have no right to ask about it, they are just visiting etc. Finally I had enough and gave them proper notice on the April 30. It's month to month lease so no reason needed. He sent me whole bunch of nasty texts, calling me names and threatening me. Went I went there yesterday (it's duplex and I'm working on second floor unit) there was some substance splashed on my freshly painted hallway walls. Called guys mom, since he didn't answer his phone. She told me they said someone tried to break in, and the girlfriend pour that thing on the intruder. Hmmm. Yeah. And the police was called and report filled. So I called local police and was told there was no intervention at that address. What now? I have mentally unstable tenants who doesn't want to move out. He didn't pay rent yet for May either. What's my options? Can I just refuse to take rent and go straight to eviction? Or should I play nice, take rent (if they pay) and not to do anything since they are crazy and might cause more damage and wait for the end of the month hoping they will move out. I have all his texts saved. Pictures of damaged walls. Thank you for advice!
0Reply
18 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Rockford, IL · Member since 2014 · 385 posts · 702 votes
    8y

    At this point in time you should go ahead with your 30 day notice and if they don't leave proceed with eviction. In the Future however you should probably think about a property manager, it seems your not quite sure how to handle screening and evictions quite yet and this could end up costing you much more than the 8% or whatever they charge in your area. 

  • Rockaway, NJ · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    Get them out now. Based on your story, I think you need an attorney to get rid of them. You shouldn't do this yourself, because it will end up costing you more money.

    When you get rid of them, take all damages from security deposit.

  • Rental Property Investor · RI · Member since 2017 · 23 posts · 1 vote
    8y
    I will definitely get them out. Question is if I have to wait 30 days (till end of May) or can proceed with eviction as soon as possible based on what's going on. With an attorney's help at that point no doubt.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.