Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
General Landlording & Rental Properties

User Stats

Votes
Larry T.
Votes |
Refrigerator size for apartments

Larry T.
Posted Aug 18 2010, 05:06

Hi everyone,

This probably sounds silly but I have never had to consider cubic feet size before. All of our refrigerators either came with the building or were obtained in such a way as we have never had to choose the cubic feet size. I cannot figure out what we have and need to replace two. The ones I am looking at are either 14.4 cubic feet or 15.6 (I believe). Are these the right size for a 750 sf apartment unit? Even if they are a bit smaller than the area in the kitchen that they fit into, does that really matter?

Also is 10.0 cubic feet way too small? Is this a mini size?

User Stats

Votes
Mark N.A
  • Real Estate Investor
  • North Carolina
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • North Carolina
Replied Aug 18 2010, 08:38

Kinda depends on who you're renting to.

My low-income tenants are happy to find ANY appliances supplied.

My blue-collar wish they had in-the-door ice-makers 'cause it's a status thing.

And my college kids want the biggest 'cause it's a beer and left-over pizza thing.

I just rented to a couple that loves to hunt and eat what they shoot but they solved the problem by buying a separate freezer.

User Stats

Votes
Bill Patterson
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Portage, MI
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Portage, MI
Replied Aug 18 2010, 08:42

Hi!
I'd measure the opening size and check with your appliance store to see what is the most functional and economical unit that will fit. For a 750 ft apt, I would think that a 14 or 15 cu ft would be fine. A standard size refrigerator often will cost less than a smaller, less popular sized one. Also, from an aesthetics point of view... lots of room around your refrigerator looks like you have skimped on the fridge and may leave a bad impression on your prospective tenants! Put yourself in the tenants place...would the refrigerator work for you?
Good Luck,
Bill

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.
Account Closed
  • OR
Votes |
  • OR
Replied Aug 18 2010, 17:20

I would measure the space and get the largest fridge that would fit in there.

Tenants eyes open wide when there is a really big refrigerator. If you secure a tenant even 1 week quicker because your unit is the one with the nice refrigerator, that has just paid you more than the difference of the price between the two sizes.

User Stats

Votes
Jon Klaus
  • Developer
  • Garland, TX
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Garland, TX
Replied Aug 18 2010, 22:45

I wouldn't go smaller than 14 cubic feet, but I only have SFRs. Both Lowes and Home Depot typically carry a 14-15 cubic foot model for @$399.00. They sometimes have 10% off that. Be sure to ask about floor models and scratch & dent. Tell the appliance manager what you are doing. Lowes, especially wants to earn your business. A couple weeks ago I bought a $459 smooth top range with nothing wrong with it for $225 at Lowes. It was a discontinued model that had been on the floor too long.

User Stats

Votes
Jon Holdman
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Mercer Island, WA
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Mercer Island, WA
ModeratorReplied Aug 18 2010, 23:23

A 10 foot fridge is certainly too small for reasonable use. That's one of those you use when you have no choice. Heck, that's too small to even make a good beer fridge.

If there are habitat for humanity stores or similar in your area, look there. Usually not that much choice, but if you can find something that fits nicely, you can save a nice chunk of change. If you're concerned about buying a used fridge, just realize after the first tenant, that new one will be used, too.

User Stats

Votes
Larry T.
Votes |
Replied Aug 20 2010, 03:33

Thank you everyone, I went in and measured an old one of ours and to my surprise the measurements matched those of an approx. 18 foot cubic refrigerator. I thought those were the very large ones and turns out they are not that large at all. I think that I cannot go much smaller than this but the good news is that the prices don't seem to vary that much (for used ones that we found) from size to size. Thanks very much for the input.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Feb 5 2019, 16:47

I am struggling with the same refrigerator issue.  Is a bigger refrigerator just better because it provides more convenience?   I am renovating my 2 bed 1 bath, 800 SQFT condo.  I can move the cabinet by 6" and fit a 33" fridge instead of 28" wide fridge to get 21 Cubic Ft side by side fridge.  It's more impressive than a top freezer fridge and more cold storage.   For extra 4 Cubic Ft storage, It cost $500 more in fridge and cabinet move cost.