What is the most tenant friendly flooring?

What is the most tenant friendly flooring?

Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2008 · 217 posts · 12 votes

What's the most tenant friendly flooring, that's cheap to install, and still looks desirable?

Carpet?
Hardwoods?
Laminant?
Sticky tiles?

I guess what I'd like to know is, what flooring will have the lowest maintenance cost over a 10 year period?

0Reply
199 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
16y

I think the topic title is mis-worded. Tenant friendly would be soft and comfortable, like thick pile carpeting with top dollar padding underneath. And non-staining, so there's no big clean up needed.

Now, you probably meant landlord friendly flooring - where durability and longevity are desirable.

See this reply in the discussion

48 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Elkhorn, WI · Member since 2008 · 453 posts · 104 votes
    16y
    Originally posted by Bill Patterson:
    MikeOH is just in a different market than I am used to. I have poked fun at him before on painted floors! No big deal!

    I still believe (even with student rentals) that if you provide a quality product and expect the tenants to respect and care for their apartment, most will do so. When leasing season comes around, our leasing agents inform the prospective tenants what we expect and we have a reputation for that. It attracts a better tenant and the out of control, spoiled kid can rent down the street and my tenants can go to his house and watch him puke on his carpet when they want to party!
    Bill


    Bill, you seem to have the student rental market down pretty well. I've never done that. My target renters are middle aged families with kids. I should send you some pictures of my floors (inspired by MikeOH), you might actually be surprised!
  • Flipper · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2009 · 973 posts · 679 votes
    16y

    I saw opposing viewpoints, I didn't see anyone being made fun of. You actually are tied for the most votes, so most people agree with you. I would do it in my student rental if the floors needed it.

    Do a forum search for "european wood floors"

  • Real Estate Investor · the villages, FL · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    16y

    IMO, the longest lasting/desireable floor is ceramic tile. Especially in the areas susceptible to mold, where carpet is a disaster waiting to happen. I've done tile in AZ, TX and will do in FL if I'm ever able to purchase something! I want it to last in case I end up keeping the property. My tile is installed for under $.70 a sq. ft. for the labor. I can buy the tile for about the same price if I find on sale. I pay the mud etc.
    I for one would not put in a nice flooring thinking I might live in it. Rich

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Camden, NJ · Member since 2010 · 126 posts · 55 votes
    16y

    rich
    my tenants are middle to low income in Camden NJ which was "Most dangerous city in America" two years in a row. i don't get $2000 a month like Bill, my tenants pay $900-$950 i get high end appliances off craigslist from $50-$100 dollars and they like it and they tend to stay longer IMO. i just feel lowest price per foot is a factor of course, but quality is important too

    yes bill can be a trouble maker, so please don't put me in that group of people

    and what i was saying before is "i wouldn't paint my floors in my house, and i wouldn't do it in a rental

  • Real Estate Investor · Portage, MI · Member since 2010 · 470 posts · 315 votes
    16y

    rich23s,
    I've seen the damaged SFR's with kids! I just had a family move out and I will need not only carpet, but several doors of windows! This is the reason that I don't like the SFR business! Same goes for apartments that target the same market. Funny, though, when I had kids at home (now grand kids visiting!) my carpets held up just fine!
    Bill

  • Orlando, FL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 282 votes
    16y

    Tile (and baseboards) was removed from the bedroom floors, due to mold and/or water damage, so there is just cement floors there right now. Would it look tacky to put something cheap like vinyl stick on tiles in those 2 rooms, instead of putting the white ceramic tile like the rest of the house has? Or should I try to match the rest of the rooms? thx
    (for a future rental house)

  • Member since 2010 · 26 posts · 5 votes
    16y

    My parents and I put in ceramic tile in our latest rental. Not just kitchen and bathrooms, but everywhere.

    Tile was .80 for each 1 square foot square. Paid about $1 per square foot for labor.

    Bought grout and a saw for the edges.

    Looks great!

  • Homeowner · Burleson, TX · Member since 2008 · 756 posts · 376 votes
    16y
    Originally posted by Francis Dai:
    My parents and I put in ceramic tile in our latest rental. Not just kitchen and bathrooms, but everywhere.

    Tile was .80 for each 1 square foot square. Paid about $1 per square foot for labor.

    Bought grout and a saw for the edges.

    Looks great!


    What would be the life expectancy of the ceramic tile? Can this be predicted or projected to see, over time, which is more cost effective? Can pet urine get into the grout and under the tile?
  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Camden, NJ · Member since 2010 · 126 posts · 55 votes
    16y

    tile will last forever, a few may crack, but did you ever watch post Katrina footage. the homes that were washed away, and or blown away depending on who you talk to, all that was left were tiled floors

  • Homeowner · Burleson, TX · Member since 2008 · 756 posts · 376 votes
    16y

    Thanks Michael. I didn't watch any videos of post Katrina. I don't spend much time watching TV.

    I still am curious about tile, grout, and pet urine.

  • Real Estate Investor · Portage, MI · Member since 2010 · 470 posts · 315 votes
    16y

    Greg,
    There are sealers that you can put on grout that will help and I believe I read something about there being grouts that have a built in sealer. At any rate, grouts can be removed and replaced.
    Bill

  • Sharad M.Pro Member
    Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    16y

    I have been struggling with this question myself. I am leaning towards sticky vinyl flooring, because this is something I can do myself. Of course, cost is a factor, but for me being a new investor, I also want to put some sweat equity into my place. I am going to Home Depot and Lowes this week to learn a little more about flooring and which ones are the easiest for DIY projects.

    Any suggestions other than sticky vinyl flooring?

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Camden, NJ · Member since 2010 · 126 posts · 55 votes
    16y
    Originally posted by Max I:
    I I also want to put some sweat equity into my place. I am going to Home Depot and Lowes this week to learn a little more about flooring and which ones are the easiest for DIY projects.


    learn as much as you can, none of it is that
    difficult. sometimes the hardest part is putting the stuff in the truck and taking it out and putting it where you need it.
    there are a lot of diy videos on Youtube on virtually every home improvement. a couple of weeks ago i put in laminate flooring, and a gas tankless water heater from watching videos
  • Member since 2010 · 34 posts · 3 votes
    16y

    I just looked at some 12" square ceramic tile in HD. Look nice and should be hard wearing. .59 a tile.

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Camden, NJ · Member since 2010 · 126 posts · 55 votes
    16y

    try 16" tile job will go quicker and use less grout

  • Property Manager · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2008 · 51 posts · 61 votes
    16y

    Find those of you talked about painted concrete floors, do you have any before/after pictures of what the floor looks like?

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    16y
    Originally posted by Michael S.:
    try 16" tile job will go quicker and use less grout


    Do you think 16" tiles look good in small areas like bathrooms? And when you say use less grout, do you mean go with something like 1/8" gaps rather than 1/4" gaps or something else? Does this save on time or just materials?
  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    16y

    Completely uncultured Americans..... Don't know anything about "European style wood floors".... (aka painted floors)

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    16y
    Originally posted by Tim Wieneke:
    Completely uncultured Americans..... Don't know anything about "European style wood floors".... (aka painted floors)

    Do you tell your tenants this with your fake French accent? :D

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Camden, NJ · Member since 2010 · 126 posts · 55 votes
    16y
    Originally posted by Jon Klaus:
    Originally posted by Michael S.:
    try 16" tile job will go quicker and use less grout


    Do you think 16" tiles look good in small areas like bathrooms?

    And when you say use less grout, do you mean go with something like 1/8" gaps rather than 1/4" gaps or something else? Does this save on time or just materials?


    actually i don't space my tiles at all, i butt them together and then grout the floor

  • Philly Area, PA · Member since 2008 · 297 posts · 27 votes
    16y

    I'm a big fan of VCT, especially if you put about 5 coats of wax. The floors hold up well plus if there is a problem, you can pop the problem tile out have it replaced, without replacing the whole floor.

  • Real Estate Investor · Elkhorn, WI · Member since 2008 · 453 posts · 104 votes
    16y
    Originally posted by Tim Wieneke:
    Completely uncultured Americans..... Don't know anything about "European style wood floors".... (aka painted floors)


    LOL Tim, I hope you don't mind...I stole that phrase from you a while ago and used it in some Craigslist posts. It sounds great and seems to work well!
  • Lincoln, NE · Member since 2008 · 249 posts · 46 votes
    16y

    In our apartments we use tiled floors in the kitchen and bath. $.50 sq ft ceramic from H.D. and yes...the hardybacker, etc add up to more then just sticky tiles BUT...they last longer and the prospective tenants love it. A WOW factor that works ! We actually also use same 12x12 ceramic tiles for the bath sorround. So far...so good !

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.