Personal Umbrella Policy

Personal Umbrella Policy

Zürich, Zurich · Member since 2017 · 2 posts · 0 votes

Hi everyone! Hope you're doing great! I'm Hazel and I'm helping my boss know more about PUP. My question is: How does a personal umbrella policy protect business assets like rental properties held in LLCs or land trust?

Also, I would like to ask for your thoughts on what's the best way to obtain or be covered by an umbrella policy even if you do not own personal property or personal automobiles.

As what I read and what the agents I spoke with said, this isn’t possible. Below are the points I gathered from reading online:

  • "You must already carry auto or property insurance, usually homeowners, to qualify."
  • "Depending on the terms of the insurance company, but generally, they require to buy a minimum amount of auto and/or "home insurance liability coverage before you can add umbrella coverage.

"The above reasons are also why the umbrella insurance is so cheap. You have to carry plenty of homeowners and auto liability insurance before an insurance company will issue you an umbrella policy. It is fairly common to receive the commercial umbrella policy proposal at the last minute—in part because the commercial umbrella policy’s pricing and terms are usually contingent on the terms, conditions, and pricing of the underlying insurance, which must first be established to finalize the umbrella proposal. So basically, this is also why most insurance companies don’t offer stand-alone umbrella policies. You’d have to have your auto/homeowners insurance with the same company."

But I have read that umbrella insurance covers not just the policyholder, but also other members of his/her family or household. So if one doesn't have a property/auto to their name, in which they can't be directly insured of, is it right that the only option to be covered by an insurance is to be listed as a family member who is insured by a PUP? 

Looking forward to know your thoughts. Thanks, everyone!

Hazel

0Reply
19 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Property Manager · Lindenhurst, IL · Member since 2016 · 854 posts · 506 votes
    8y

    The way I understand is if you are driving to go to a grocery store for example, and hit someone by accident, he may sue you for everything you have beyond what the normal car insurance covers. That's when the umbrella policy kicks in and will cover up to the amount in the policy. 

    But then you say you do not own a property or car, so in that case, I'm not sure what the point of the umbrella is, unless you own a few properties.

  • Jason BottPro Member
    Insurance Agent · Nationwide · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @Hazel Llanos Collado if you/your boss does not have an auto or homeowners policy, all your risk will be coming from the rentals.  What other risk you are concerned about personally?

    When it comes to Real Estate Investors, here is how Umbrellas are used

    Personal umbrella - if you want to increase the Liability limits on your rentals from say $500,000 to $1,500,000 AND include your home and auto under this umbrella

    Commercial umbrella - when you only increase liability limits on the rental properties.

    Many investors I work with will have a personal umbrella paired with their home and auto, and then a commercial umbrella over their rentals. 

  • Zürich, Zurich · Member since 2017 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    Hi everyone, 

    Thank you for all your replies. 

    @Jason Bott - I think my boss would like to protect his wage. Should he just get the renter's policy? As far as I know, he lives together with his parents. He's a bachelor and they have a family-owned business. Aside from that, his brother is into real estate investing.

    Is it okay to acquire an umbrella policy even if the rental properties are held in LLC?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.