Tenant would like a new stove and hardwood flooring?

Tenant would like a new stove and hardwood flooring?

Investor · Princeton, NJ · Member since 2015 · 5 posts · 0 votes

Hello Everyone, I have a tenant that would like to renew his lease on the condition that I buy him a new modern stove. The current stove that I have installed is older but it was new and never used until he moved in. He is claiming that the oven doesn't work. (It was never an issue the entire year.) He would also like me to install hardwood flooring on the first floor of my unit. The hardwood or laminate flooring would be nice but the home is located at the beach and I'm not sure that I would be able to recoup the investment with the rent increase if I added it. My thoughts are that the rent would need to be significantly raised to appease his requests. I explained that we should discuss it in person. He also mentioned that he would be interested in purchasing the rental (which I would be more than happy to sell him) but I think that would be a whole other discussion.

(This is not my stove but it's the same model)

0Reply
16 views

Most Popular Reply

Deland, FL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
9y

he wants to buy and you want to sell

Forget the stove and floor and sell it 

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Sterman, MI · Member since 2017 · 378 posts · 306 votes
    9y

    First, do you want to sell or be a landlord?  How long has tenant been there? Is he a good tenant? Do you want him there? What is the condition of the stove?

  • Investor · Hyattsville, MD · Member since 2012 · 822 posts · 441 votes
    9y

    The appliances look pretty old and dated. That microwave has more than lived its expected lifespan and more. replacement microwaves can be 250 or so plus installation costs. Replacing the microwave appears to be your least expensive upgrade IF you actually wanted appease your tenant with a compromise based on his requests. You'd need to replace that sucker anyway in order to re-rent. The oven comes in a close second for consideration of replacement and it looks old, but it could remain fully functional. The tenant could be grumbling about the oven and just trying to get something more modern installed. The flooring request is pretty expensive and doesn't appear to be a viable option that will benefit you. How long has this tenant been there?  Does he pay on time and generally not cause you any pain? Consider those factors and how much you want to keep him into your decision making and consider giving him a microwave upgrade in a compromise counter offer. Good luck!

  • Deland, FL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    he wants to buy and you want to sell

    Forget the stove and floor and sell it 

  • Real Estate Agent · Newport Beach, CA · Member since 2017 · 259 posts · 293 votes
    9y

    Offer to split the cost. It's an investment in his future home and you get a discount if he chooses to move and gets a whiny tenant off your back. He gave all his cards away when he said he wanted to buy the place. He clearly likes the location enough. I've never had a tenant say that they wanted to buy a place and then say that they're moving because they want their place in better condition than when they rented it in the first place.

    Also, unless you're in a unique market, rents are going up by 2-5%/year. Unless you magically found this tenant, you should be able to re rent it.

    Bottom line, split the cost. I'd also narrow down to two options for each product if you go that route. If you replace the stove, "tenant, do you want stove a or stove b? no stove c is not an option sorry." You got this!!!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.