Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Joseph Mceneaney
  • Investor
  • Broomall, PA
Votes |
First last and security deposit

Joseph Mceneaney
  • Investor
  • Broomall, PA
Posted Jul 1 2017, 16:04

I'm finding a lot of people can't come up with three months deposit; plus I'm wondering if they have a good background check; verify job;no evictions; or criminal background; is it OK only to charge first and last month and maybe 2 to 2.5 income to rent ratio 

after studying Brandon's book I can't seem to find those types of tenants that are described in his book 

1ST Three times the income to monthly rent

2ND three months down deposit $

that's the question that I'm fine it hard to find a tenants  

User Stats

Votes
Roy N.
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Fredericton, New Brunswick
Votes |
Pro Member
ModeratorReplied Jul 1 2017, 16:19

What are the regulatory limits in your jurisdiction?   

Here we are allowed only to collect a security deposit which may not exceed one month's rent.  In other locations you are permitted to collect last month's rent,  but no security deposit, etc.

User Stats

Votes
Kim Meredith Hampton
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • St Petersburg & Orlando
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • St Petersburg & Orlando
Replied Jul 1 2017, 16:32

@Joseph Mceneaney in my market, I collect first months rent and a security deposit. I only collect first, last & security if I feel there is some sort of deficit, etc.,,,

Hemlane logo
Hemlane
|
Sponsored
The future of property management is here! Automate rent, repairs, and listings & get 70% more free time back in your life!

User Stats

Votes
Joseph Mceneaney
  • Investor
  • Broomall, PA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Broomall, PA
Replied Jul 1 2017, 17:00

We are allowed to get first last and security deposit

but my question is I'm finding people don't have that much money on hand; second they don't make three times the rent verified income        I'm seeing 2 to 2.5 the rent ratio

User Stats

Votes
Roy N.
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
ModeratorReplied Jul 1 2017, 17:40

At that point, look for stability and {reasonable} financial intelligence. 

We have accepted tenants who do not {quite} meet our normal income threshold, but only when they have a history of stabile income, reasonable debt and, perhaps, a little rainy-day fund.

User Stats

Votes
Janett Lewis
  • Investor
  • St. Louis, MO
Votes |
  • Investor
  • St. Louis, MO
Replied Jul 1 2017, 17:58

I am lucky to get 2 times rent as income in my area. The law will only let us collect 2 months rent as a deposit (3 months if furnished). I have 6 rentals and I have never encountered so many interesting people. If I find someone with a credit score over 525 I consider myself lucky. I wish I had seen "The truth about buying $30,000 rentals" before I got so many. You have to really screen the heck out of anyone and make sure any adults are on the lease and screened and do a background/ credit check. When you call references be sure to look the person up online and verify who they are. I don't know how many times I get a hunch I'm talking to the best friend who is vouching for my potential tenant. When a tenant moves out I am find myself investing another $5000 to clean, paint and fix whatever got broke.

I also studied the book and have never bumped into this unicorn tenant in St. Louis. San Diego was a totally different story. Unfortunately I couldn't afford to by a rental property there for 1/2 a million dollars so I cherry picked applicants for my favorite buyers and sellers. I could believe the 805 and higher scores renters have out there but there is a ton of military. I ask for a holding deposit of 2 months when someone wants the home. This becomes their security deposit once all the conditions are met and they move into the home. The more I screen, inquire and due diligence the better my tenants seem to be!

User Stats

Votes
Zach Scheer
  • Investor
  • West Hartford, CT
Votes |
  • Investor
  • West Hartford, CT
Replied Jul 1 2017, 19:27

We ask that their gross pay is 2.5 times the rent and get pay stubs to prove that. We will then take the first months rent and the security deposit.

I don't know that many people that can come up with three months of rent at one time. I would be accepted under the 2.5 rule but deff can't come up with three months rent especially if I was in a current rental.

User Stats

Votes
Cody L.
  • San Diego, Ca
Votes |
  • San Diego, Ca
Replied Jul 1 2017, 19:41

What's this "we are allowed" stuff. The security deposit amount should be up to two people and two people only: property owner and renter.

A property owner would love to charge $100000. The renter would love to pay $0. Between them some agreement is made.

I wish the fat pig government would leave free people be.

User Stats

Votes
Paul Ronto
  • Investor
  • Fort Collins, CO
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Fort Collins, CO
Replied Jul 3 2017, 14:53

The key to finding good tenants is great marketing. The better you market your property the bigger pool of applicants you'll have to choose from. Be sure you are syndicating your listings to all the online listing channels, posting to Craig's, Facebook and other social channels. Also be sure to publish your acceptance criteria in your listing information to weed people that won't meet your requirements right off the bat, saving you time and money. 

Also be sure when you screen, that you are taking your time to pull real screening reports, including credit, criminal and eviction. Finding the right tenants is tough but when you get them, they make your life way easier as a landlord. 

If you are having trouble with the 3x issue, lower your criteria to 2.5 or 2x but post that and you need to stay consistent with all applicants. If you reject someone for not having 3x income, but accept another renter with only 2.5x you could be opening yourself us to a FHA lawsuit.

Also like other's have said, the 3x rule is generally gross income, and is the sum of people on the lease, so if there are two adults on the lease their sum income needs to be 3x the rent, they don't both need to make 3x the rent. 

Good luck, let us know if you have other questions, we're always happy to help!