Bridgeport, CT · Member since 2017 · 116 posts · 19 votes
Hi BP members, I was wondering when looking for tenants through a Real Estate agent, does the landlord pay the agent or tenant pay the agent? It is specifically for New Haven, CT area. I know tenants pay fee to the agent in NY/NJ but not sure if this applies to New Haven, CT. Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you.
Real Estate Broker · St Petersburg · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
9y
@Peace Lily not sure about your area, but in Florida typically the owner pays the fee for finding a qualified tenant.
Some tenants do hire a Realtor to scout out and find them a property. Some pay the realtors a finders fee, and some get paid a referral fee from the broker that has the listing
Bridgeport, CT · Member since 2017 · 116 posts · 19 votes
9y
Thank you all! I am referring to New Haven, CT area. I am just surprised to hear that landlord pay for the fees. I know in NY/NJ, it is always tenants pay for the fees... that can be quite expensive if the turnover rate is every year for student rental.
Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
9y
Unless you list the house on the MLS, there's nothing that says you (as the owner/landlord) has to pay a realtor a commission.
If a realtor finds your place for a client, they may ask you to pay them, or more appropriately, talk to you first and ask if you'll pay the fee.
Recently a realtor called me about a listing. It was slow to rent, so I agreed to pay him 1/2 month rent if his client signed a 12 month lease. For me, it was worth the price.
(Turned out that he hemmed and hawed and lost it to a more excited tenant)
Worst case is you say no, and the realtor either decides to show the house to their client with risk of not being paid, or passes your property by.
Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
9y
for student rentals here they just up the monthly commission but they are not year round so it's not typical of other student rentals. You need to call the Pm s that handle your local university but I would bet it is the landlord. Ask them what they charge if the tenant renews. Less? Do they charge you for a replacement tenant if they don't stay a year.