Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Liz C.
  • Property Manager
  • New York, NY
Votes |
Lease renewal papersworks

Liz C.
  • Property Manager
  • New York, NY
Posted May 26 2017, 11:49
Hi everyone , when you renew the lease with tenant , do you just have them fill out a lease renewal form or you go through the whole process again such as lease agreement and lead paint disclosure etc? Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Kim Meredith Hampton
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • St Petersburg & Orlando
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • St Petersburg & Orlando
Replied May 26 2017, 13:48

@Liz C. my attorney suggests that you do the  whole process again, but I see on here people take a lot of short cuts. I'm always on the side of better to be safe than sorry. 

In addition, laws change all the time, so make sure that any changes are included

User Stats

Votes
Frank Chin
  • Investor
  • Bayside, NY
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Bayside, NY
Replied May 26 2017, 14:15

Just like the post above, I have the tenant sign a whole new set.

Some years ago, I used the Real Estate Board of New York lease. I buy a set, and on lease renewal, send them a entirely new lease with my addendum.

Recently I started using "ezLandlordforms.com". Each year, I print off a whole new lease, mail it to the tenant, and have it signed.

"ezLandlordforms.com" gives legal advice on certain clauses in the lease. It includes all kinds of goodies like lead disclosure, child guards, etc. Until recently, I didn't know I cannot require renter's insurance in NYC, but they include an addendum in the lease for the tenant to opt out, but if they do, they hold me harmless. I had a case where there's a break in, tenant didn't have renters insurance and sued for damages based on "the lack of security".

Hemlane logo
Hemlane
|
Sponsored
Managing your property just got WAY cheaper and easier! Handle repairs, rent, listings, and more with the touch of a button - property manage like a pro!

User Stats

Votes
Liz C.
  • Property Manager
  • New York, NY
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • New York, NY
Replied May 26 2017, 14:32

I did not know you can't ask tenant for renter insurance. I always request my tenant to buy tenant insurance on the lease. Am I doing it wrong?

I have so far lease agreement , lead paint disclosure and smoke detective form and addendum which they waiver the right to sue me if anyone get hurt.

User Stats

Votes
Frank Chin
  • Investor
  • Bayside, NY
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Bayside, NY
Replied May 26 2017, 14:44
Originally posted by @Liz C.:

I did not know you can't ask tenant for renter insurance. I always request my tenant to buy tenant insurance on the lease. Am I doing it wrong?

I have so far lease agreement , lead paint disclosure and smoke detective form and addendum which they waiver the right to sue me if anyone get hurt.

I always had renter's insurance required in my lease. Only when start using ezLandlordforms.com did they mention the NYC prohibition. I'm not an attorney, I would put a hold harmless clause in your lease. If you had it in before this, tenants agreed to it, I'll leave it in (not a legal opinion). 

User Stats

Votes
Lynn McGeein
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Replied May 27 2017, 06:55

For a renewal, I have tenant sign an addendum to lease changing end date and rent if different.  If I am changing terms that would require more than a simple addendum, then we fill out an entire new lease.   If you already have their signed acknowledgement of receipt of lead paint disclosures and receipt of pamphlet and no new knowledge exists of lead paint hazards, then unless your state  or locality requires it, there should be no need for a new disclosure for the same tenant.  

User Stats

Votes
Frank Chin
  • Investor
  • Bayside, NY
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Bayside, NY
Replied May 27 2017, 07:25
Originally posted by @Lynn McGeein:

For a renewal, I have tenant sign an addendum to lease changing end date and rent if different.  If I am changing terms that would require more than a simple addendum, then we fill out an entire new lease.   If you already have their signed acknowledgement of receipt of lead paint disclosures and receipt of pamphlet and no new knowledge exists of lead paint hazards, then unless your state  or locality requires it, there should be no need for a new disclosure for the same tenant.  

The problem is the Real Estate Board of NY, and ezLandlordforms.com does not sell addendums, from what I can see, and I would have to make up my own or have an attorney draft one.

For the ezLandlordforms.com renewal lease, I just print the 1st 8 pages, I sign and tenant signs, that's it. The disclosures goes up to page 40 and beyond. I just click and choose which forms to include with the base lease. You pull up the last archived lease as the template and update the dates.

The REBNY leases used to be 8-1/2 x 14, six pages, folded up. I buy them 12 at a time, manually fill in the tenant's name, date, and have them signed. I don't use them anymore since their leases went online and I find the user interface clunky. But if you landlord in NYC, they include all the requirements for rent control rent stabilization.

I find doing it this way to be less work, at least for me.

User Stats

Votes
Kimberly H.
  • Residential Real Estate Broker
  • Chicago Suburbs, IL
Votes |
  • Residential Real Estate Broker
  • Chicago Suburbs, IL
Replied May 27 2017, 07:39

Our lease changes so much we have them sign a new lease but not new addendums, unless an addendum changed. If our lease ever stops getting so many updates we will do a one page renewal sheet.

User Stats

Votes
Liz C.
  • Property Manager
  • New York, NY
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • New York, NY
Replied May 27 2017, 20:59

Where do you guys download or buy the renewal form? Thanks

User Stats

Votes
Cody L.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • San Diego, Ca
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • San Diego, Ca
Replied May 27 2017, 21:01

Addendum with new date, auto sent to digitally sign.

Stop using trees guys. It's 2017

User Stats

Votes
Frank Chin
  • Investor
  • Bayside, NY
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Bayside, NY
Replied May 28 2017, 03:34
Originally posted by @Liz C.:

Where do you guys download or buy the renewal form? Thanks

Currently, I use leases thru: ezLandlordform.com 

You create an account. Paid subscription is $43.95 for 6 months, and a 12 month subscription for $70.86 at a 15% discount. They have free lease forms, application forms, rent receipt forms if you prefer the free stuff. For me, I use the 12 month subscription, and with that they archive the leases by tenant, and I can easily create a new leases from the expiring archived lease simply by updating the dates. You can create your own lease templates.

For REBNY leases, they're more specific to NY, they have subleases, condo leases. I used them over 10 years ago till I used up the printed lease form supply I had. Then they went online. You also have to create an account. I found their online entry a little clumsy, but that was over 10 years ago. Google REBNY and you'll find plenty of links there.

The nice thing is I can create the lease in PDF format, e-mail it to my tenant for review. For the last tenant, I did that, the lease need two signers, he printed out the lease, ok with it, one guy sign it, I showed up to sign with the other. The initial lease includes the move-in walk through form that the other tenant signed after the walk through, I signed, and we're good to go.

User Stats

Votes
Liz C.
  • Property Manager
  • New York, NY
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • New York, NY
Replied May 28 2017, 14:18

Cody L. Where do you get your addendum ?

User Stats

Votes
Liz C.
  • Property Manager
  • New York, NY
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • New York, NY
Replied May 29 2017, 08:12

Thank you everyone for your input! Will check into it

Demo
Practice finding and analyzing deals