Accept Dogs in a newly renovated apartment?

Accept Dogs in a newly renovated apartment?

Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 72 posts · 13 votes
Hey all. I have a brand newly renovated three flat in a quiet north side Chicago neighborhood. Hardwood floors, new everything, etc. Just listed it and am getting a high number of "do you accept dogs" viewing inquiries. Thoughts on allowing dogs? Would be interested in your experiences. Thanks!
0Reply
14 views

Most Popular Reply

Kim Meredith HamptonBusiness Member
Real Estate Broker · St Petersburg · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
9y

@Benjamin E. I do accept dogs in most of my rentals, simply because 67% of my audience has pets. 

We now take photos, pet fee and pet deposit, pet addendum with all the rules etc...and are recently talking about monthly pet rent. 

Important to do a pre-move in video and or pictures to notate condition of the property inside and out. More often than not, we don't have any issues  

See this reply in the discussion

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    9y

    Dogs, pets, do damage. You can charge a fee or higher rent but it does not change the fact that you risk having to redo floors, eradicate urin smell, replace molding and door frames etc. Of course it does not happen all the time but the risk is still there. I do not allow pets and when people ask I suggest that if they want to bring a animal into a home it would be best if they invested their own money and purchased a home of their own to destroy. 

    This will eliminate some from the tenant pool but who cares, that is after all the purpose of screening...getting only the tenants you want and eliminating all others.

    I would never take my dog into someone else's home and can not understand why anyone else would think it is OK. 

    Now if it is a low class rental where the effect of animals does not have a negative impact why not make extra money jacking up the rent and treat the dog as a extra tenant.

  • Kim Meredith HamptonBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · St Petersburg · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    @Benjamin E. I do accept dogs in most of my rentals, simply because 67% of my audience has pets. 

    We now take photos, pet fee and pet deposit, pet addendum with all the rules etc...and are recently talking about monthly pet rent. 

    Important to do a pre-move in video and or pictures to notate condition of the property inside and out. More often than not, we don't have any issues  

  • Investor · Edwardsville, IL · Member since 2015 · 432 posts · 481 votes
    9y
    I second what Kim Meredith Hampton had to say. Tenants will sneak in a pet any way so you might as well get additional rent (I charge $25 a month per pet) Also get a separate pet deposit of $275 (per pet) . I have it in my lease a maximum of 25 pounds when full grown. No viscous breeds and I require them to have Renter's insurance with me listed as an additional insured.
  • Vista, CA · Member since 2017 · 10 posts · 6 votes
    9y

    I accept dogs. All of the precautions @Kim Meredith Hampton and Jim Shepard mentioned above are great. I know bad things definitely happen, but I haven't had any major issues (knock on wood). 

  • Investor · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2017 · 12 posts · 7 votes
    9y

    Dogs are fine. It's kids that have created the most havoc in my experience. But, as the case with anything in life, it depends on the players playing the game.

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 72 posts · 13 votes
    9y

    Appreciate the feedback. No, not a low class rental at all. I should mention that it will be owner occupied. I plan on living in the top (third) floor.

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 515 posts · 247 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Benjamin E.:
    Hey all. I have a brand newly renovated three flat in a quiet north side Chicago neighborhood. Hardwood floors, new everything, etc. Just listed it and am getting a high number of "do you accept dogs" viewing inquiries. Thoughts on allowing dogs? Would be interested in your experiences. Thanks!

     What I like about allowing pets is that pet owners have limited options on places they can go.  So when their lease is approaching expiration, they're less likely to look elsewhere.  I think it decreases turnover.  

    I agree about the damage though.  I'd definitely have a pet fee.   

  • Real Estate Investor · Encinitas, CA · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    @Benjamin E. I think you're able to stipulate in your lease only dogs under ___ pounds.  In essence, a size limit.  Small dogs will still do damage but maybe not as much damage.  That said, not to be crass, but pee smell is still pee smell no matter the size of the canine.  So much of the "should I accept" comes with the local market.  If you're getting 100 inquires and 80 of them involve pets you still have a market of 20 people that don't have pets you can screen.  If you have 10 inquires and 9 involve pets, you basically just have one viable non-pet applicant that may or may not pass screening.    

  • Investor · Saint Paul, MN · Member since 2015 · 663 posts · 512 votes
    9y
    I know it's tempting, but I wouldn't as others have said, they do cause lots of damage and smell. I just updated a unit and no way am I going to allow them. So if you are in a popular area with your rental and getting lots of showings, then be patient.
  • Investor · North Dartmouth, MA · Member since 2017 · 10 posts · 6 votes
    9y

    Check with your insurance company as well.  Mine has a list of dogs that are not allowed and requires the tenant take a separate policy as well.  This doesn't cover your apartment but it does help with your liability, which would cost a lot more than the renovations should something happen.

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 72 posts · 13 votes
    9y

    Great feedback, all - thanks! I am going to state that dogs under 20 lbs are negotiable, but with stipulations. If I get a bad feeling then I am going to hold off. I listed two days ago and decided to price it at $50 under the competition to get a large pool of candidates.  Currently have five showings set for this weekend two without pets, and one set for out of towners with a cat a week from now. With the competitive pricing I am interested to see how many showings I get. 

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 710 posts · 200 votes
    9y

    I say No Dogs.  Especially in a newly renovated unit on the N side 

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 72 posts · 13 votes
    9y

    Found a great couple, no pets. It's a win!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.